Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 6:20:09 PM EDT
I've been into shooting for a long time but I don't actually own a gun. I'm looking to buy a rifle but I'd like it to be as inexpensive as possible. C&Rs seem to be my best bet for cheap yet reliable weapons. I have a Big 5 (sporting goods store) just down the street and they sell Mosins, Mausers, and the occasional Lee-Enfield for about $80-100. I was just wondering if anybody has any objections to my purchasing one to learn how to shoot with rifles.  Are there any good reasons why I shouldn't get one as my first rifle? If I do decide to get one, are there any recommendations as to which gun I should get?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
My first was a mauser......can be had for cheap, costs the least to shoot, and many accessories available.
I would also reccomend any that you could get your hands on...

Mausers and Mosins would be the  cheapest to shoot. K-31's and Enfields the next in line. I will say this, my K-31 has to be the absolute best $100 I've ever spent, even if ammo is hard to find sometimes. It is the most accurate, well built rifle I own, and cost the least. Good luck making a decision, but know once you start, it may never end...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:38:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Like already stated. Once you start.... it keeps going. I would get a Mosin N or a Mauser for the first and second rifle. . Then a Lee Enfield or K 31 .  .. Order the ammo by the case. Surplus ( corrosive ) but CHEAP . Just clean her really well and you'll never get rust. Good luck and congrads, WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on starting with a Mosin.  Cheap, relatively accurate, durable.  LOUD!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top