Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 12:54:13 PM EDT
The two rifles that have caught my eye since my CnR license came in are the Swiss straight pull rifles and the enifields but the ammo for both of these are  high and I want to shoot. I already have a SKS. I guess the market changes all the time. Am I missing something really neat?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
the Swiss GP11 surplus is worth it IMHO.  It's match grade, and even for some reloaders, hard to beat.  The more you buy at one time the cheaper it is (well that's pretty much everything in the world).  The .303 is another I've contemplated as well, regardless they're beautiful rifles.  Sportsmansguide.com from time to time has had .303 suprlus as well as Aimsurplus, and I haven't read anywhere that it's all used up.  I'm sure there's still a ton in Africa and India, and maybe even britain.

But the Swiss without a doubt is the best deal going right now for an out of the box tack-driver.  Don't be too hesitant because of the cost of ammo, just don't shoot a ton of it
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If you think $4 for a box of 10 rds of match grade ammo is high, then don't buy a K31. Look around at various calibers and prices of match grade ammo, I think you will find GP11 to be quite the bargain.

Most of the good 303 surplus has dried up for now. Good 303 British(not surplus) sells for $7 to $13 for a box of 20.  Again I consider this cheap as a box of 7.7 Jap sells for $22 to $42 a box. I have never heard of surplus 7.7 Jap. Obviously my Enfields(I have 8) get fired more than my Type99 7.7 Jap, however, shooting them all is priceless.

If you want cheap, I suggest some type of 8mm Mauser, you can get 900rds for around $80.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy both!

But if you have to buy just one then get the Swiss K31 and buy as much surplus ammo now as you can possibly afford. Sooner or later (probably sooner) the supply will dry up and you will have to handload or pay a bit more for new production ammo.

Rumors keep popping up that some surplus Greek .303 will be imported in the next year or so. If / when it does, it will go FAST.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess that swiss ammo is not so bad a deal but I tend to horde ammo and buy it with reckless abandon. I also get paid to shoot  free ammo so my whole perspective on the ammo thing is warped.

I really couldn't  fine any cheap 303. But I think I'll buy the swiss thing and an enfield they both have some neat history behind them. The mausers and the mosins don't do much for me. What do think will be the next big thing to hit the market? I did like the M44 i think a small light weight power house but I haven't seen much of them recently.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
if you notice enfields are really drying up, not too many dealers have them, same can be said of RC K98's. seems like every dealer out there has k31's right now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The Mosin carbines are fun rifles. The M44 has the sidefolding bayonet if you are into bayonets.  The M38 is essentially the same thing minus the bayo. I bought a 91/59 myself, which is carbine length but has a thicker barrel as they were made cutting down 91/30 barrels. They were made post war and generally never saw action. Price is almost doubly what a 38 or 44 costs. Mine was clean as a whistle inside and out with a mirror bore. Deadly accurate too.

I bought mine from Allan's Armory. A great guy to deal with.

Surplus 7.62x54 ammo is CHEAP, but all of it should be treated as corrosive ammo and the rifle cleaned accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Get yourself a nice all matching K98 or maybe a garand. The M1 carbine is alot of fun as well. The question is what shouldnt you get? every C&R is fun. It is addicting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Thnaks for the suggestions folks putting in an order right now. 2 K31s, 2 Enfields and a M44...just for starters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top