Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 7:17:03 PM EDT
Anybody have a M39 and the rifleing stops  short of the end of the barrel? Where to get a bayo for this rifle?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
That's called counterboring.  Usually when the muzzle rifling is pretty shot out, they bore into it and recrown inside the barrel.  My M38 Mosin Nagant is counterbored a few inches.  Haven't shot it, though.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Bayonets are not that easy to find.  Some may be on eBay.  As to blueing, one of my M39's has very little showing on the exposed surfaces.  The stock looks like it was dragged behind a car for awhile.  Where protected by the stock, the blueing is still present.  My other M39 looks much better, but both are excellent shooters.  I would leave it as is.  It adds character to the rifle and if your lives up to the reputation of M39's as excellent shooters, it's fun to outshoot the guys at the range with the modern rifles after they sneer at what you are shooting.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Rifleing only about 1/2 to 3/4 " from crown , down the barrel it looks nice and sharp .
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
interordnance had some nice reproduction bayonets.  last i checked they were trying to liquidate them.  give them a call they may still have some IIRC they were around $40.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The Finns are anal about accuracy and if the crown was messed up at all they wanted to take care of it. However, doing any kind of barrel work that would shorten the barrel at all was no good as the bayonets would not fit properly. Thus the counterbore technique. Perfect rifle to the end of contact with the bullet, but with the factory length barrel. Bayonets ARE hard to find. Like others said, they sold replicas a few years back fairly cheap, but they might even be all gone by now. Originals are probably near the $250 range. What kinda M39 did you get and where? BTW, the Finns made all their rifles off bought and captured Mosin receivers. Pull the action and look on the underside of the tang. There usually is a manufacturer mark and date stamped on there unless the Finn's scrubbed it. I have a few M39's that are pre-1898 and thus antiques in the eyes of the ATF.       Terry
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
My M39  was puchased from Gunsnammo. Tula receiver 41 VKT barrel Unissued and in mint condition.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.mosinnagant.net/images/m39stocksplices.jpg

this is a link to the different m39 stocks and era of production. from l to right its wartime, immediate post war, and post war
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My M39  was puchased from Gunsnammo. Tula receiver 41 VKT barrel Unissued and in mint condition.

But counterbored? If the stock has square joints instead of rounded, yours is a post-war re-arsenal.

GREAT guns! And following the parts history thru proof marks can be fun.

+1  Take another look beemerman.  They wouldn't counterbore a new barrel.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes it has the squared joints. hinking.gif I do remember on the site (Gunsnammo), they did say post war stock ,clean sharp bore and unissued. I guess that means after it was refinished. Rifling still looks good though, and rifle is in excellant condition ,100% bluing etc. I'll just have to shoot it and let you know. Do you have any idea what kind of accuracy i can expect? What kind of ammo do you suggest. Thanks for all the info. Its good to learn something new every day.hy.gif
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#11]
You should expect excellent accuracy.  These rifles have a reputation of being very good shooters.  Mine shoot very well using Albanian and Czech ammo.  With handloads I would not be surprised if these could be MOA rifles.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#13]
What is the steel core surplus ammo I'm seeing for sale? Is it considered armor piercing?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks RS39
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#16]
The isnt much surplus out there in 54R that will pass the magnet test.  I have a LOT of surplus and I think only the Yugo is non magnetic.  Even lead core bullets almost always have bimetal jackets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top