Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 4:28:49 PM EDT
I was told it was a schmidt rubin

WEll aftet all this I took it to the range today and it shoot's like a champ.........
One of the best deals I've ever goten..........I love this rifle.......

It looks pretty much like one from the pics I have seen so far ........but I'm no old gun guy
It's marked 308 win .......bolt and receiver matching serial numbers good thing ..............
.....but the detachble mag dont match and the stock is cracked.........

The 5 dollar question is can I get a stock for it.......I'm looking to make a shooter out of it / truck gun ........I figure with 2000 meter sights it must have been fairly acurate
for its day......

I don't know anything about old foreign made guns all help will be apreciated.........
The guy offered it to me for 80bucks .......I told him to give me a day or two.......

I think it's a converted 1911......not sure .....is it safe to shoot...like I said any help aprediated......

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert on Schmidt Rubins, but it looks like a bubbafied K31or 11.  The barrel is a sporter barrel and the stock cut down.  They are one of the most accurate rifles ever made and what a shame to see bubba get a hold of it like this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not a K31.

It used to be fashionable to saw up rifles.<G>

It's probably worth $80 if it shoots and doesn't bother YOU.

It is probably a converted 1911.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Judging by the bolt handle being brown, it looks to be a swiss 1911.
The barrel, based on the sights and not shown any markings, looks to be original(could be wrong). If the barrel is marked .308 then it was proubly rechambered from the 7.5 swiss. This was done a lot.

As for a new stock, try boyds at www.boydboys.com. They list a military new made stocks or call to see if they have a stock with a military barrel channel.

But for 80 bucks i would get it if the man will let you have a gunsmith check it first(have him check the chamber to verify caliber). If the smith gives you a good report, get it and restock it, shoot it.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
looks like a Model 1896/11 or 1911, too bad the stock is fucked up parts for these rifles are pretty much nowhere to be found. definatly not a k31 its got the earlier mag, if it was a k31 stocks are pretty abundant. 1896 and 1911's get upwards of $250-300 if you can even find one. look here for examples

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/schmidt_rubin.html#m1911
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#5]
My gut says it's a Schmidt-Rubin 1896/11 Rifle.  I zoomed and lightened the picture and it looks like a grafted pistol grip and the more rounded butt of the 96/11.  Of course, this assumes it's the original stock and that I'm not just seeing a shadow behind the grip.

Finding a correct replacement stock for it will be tough.  I'm sure they're out there, but you'll either have to actively seek one or be in the right place at the right time.  If anyone could get you one, it's a fella named 'Guisan' over on swissrifles.com.  He lives in Switzerland and seems to find hard-to-get parts.  If you plan on buying a replacement stock, the type is important as the 96/11 and 1911 stocks are not exactly the same and I'm not sure if they are compatible.  A quote from swissrifles "The mortice for the magazine well in the 96/11 stock is deeper than the 1911 stock. A 1911 barreled action will drop into a 96/11 stock, but not vice versa."

If it were me, it would easily be worth $80 just for the novelty factor of having a .308 Schmidt-Rubin.  But since it's already been converted I wouldn't see much use in trying to "restore" the stock to military configuration.  Just repair the one it has and shoot it.

LL
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My gut says it's a Schmidt-Rubin 1896/11 Rifle.  I zoomed and lightened the picture and it looks like a grafted pistol grip and the more rounded butt of the 96/11.  Of course, this assumes it's the original stock and that I'm not just seeing a shadow behind the grip.

Finding a correct replacement stock for it will be tough.  I'm sure they're out there, but you'll either have to actively seek one or be in the right place at the right time.  If anyone could get you one, it's a fella named 'Guisan' over on swissrifles.com.  He lives in Switzerland and seems to find hard-to-get parts.  If you plan on buying a replacement stock, the type is important as the 96/11 and 1911 stocks are not exactly the same and I'm not sure if they are compatible.  A quote from swissrifles "The mortice for the magazine well in the 96/11 stock is deeper than the 1911 stock. A 1911 barreled action will drop into a 96/11 stock, but not vice versa."

If it were me, it would easily be worth $80 just for the novelty factor of having a .308 Schmidt-Rubin.  But since it's already been converted I wouldn't see much use in trying to "restore" the stock to military configuration.  Just repair the one it has and shoot it.

LL

I called and talked to the guy who "used" to own it...........it's mine now
That's exactly what he told me.....he said he never shot it......you can definetly see where the pistol grip was grafted on in person no doubt about that......anyway I took it to my carpenter buddy who is my "expert" with wood this morning and we took it apart the stock was actually broke in half right in front of the pistol grip ............ to make a long story short we used some high speed epoxy he had to glue it back together....... he all but "guaranteed" me that the stock will hold up to being shot now....

I read somewhere last night after posting this on another sight that some of the 308 conversions were dangerous not sure if thats fact or fiction..........anyway their isn't a qualified gunsmith within 100 miles of me that I know and would trust ..........so tommorow is range day........ I guess I'm going to build a makeshift gun vise and shoot it by remote controll " with a string" unless I get some positive feedback that theres another way to tell if it's safe to shoot.......any sugestions on how many rounds to fire bebore you would trust it........308 is my favorite caliber so having this rifle in 308 is a real find for me

Side note the more I handle this rifle the more I like it...........it was actually the last thing I needed another adiction....I already see a k31 in my future
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
"Side note the more I handle this rifle the more I like it...........it was actually the last thing I needed another adiction....I already see a k31 in my future."

You're doomed.

Doomed, I say.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]
OH NO another swiss flu victum. Call the CDC and report it fast.

They are like potatoe chips, just can't have only one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Some quick research turned up something called an "Alpine Sporter".  These were Schmidt-Rubin 96/11 and 1911 rifles that were imported in the 60s and converted to .308.  The barrel was cut down at both ends and the stock shortened.  In addition to the rear-sight, I think the bottom of the mag was also stamped ".308 Win".

If yours is one of these, it should be perfectly safe.  If it's a "bubba" conversion, you might want to have it checked first.  I read a thread where one person accidentally fired a .308 round in their 7.5 K31.  Although the casing failed and it blew gases back in their face, the rifle was completely undamaged.  In other words as long as it headspaces properly, there should be no safety problems.

If it were me, I would carefully chamber the round, sight in the rifle, then move my head away from the rifle and fire.  If the fired casing looks normal (no excessive stretching or bulging), then I'd declare it safe and keep on truckin.  This obviously isn't the best way to headspace a rifle, but it's what I do when I don't have any gunsmiths in the area with headspace gauges in oddball calibers.

LL
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:22:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
"Side note the more I handle this rifle the more I like it...........it was actually the last thing I needed another adiction....I already see a k31 in my future."

You're doomed.

Doomed, I say.

Dooooomed!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#11]
WEll aftet all this I took it to the range today and it shoot's like a champ.........
One of the best deals I've ever goten..........I love this rifle.......

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Great to hear. Welcome to the addiction. You're better off with the .308 conversion because 7.5mm Swiss GP11 (military surplus) is expensive stuff and it ain't reloadable. The upside is it is the cheapest match-grade ammo you'll ever find in bulk quantity. ~50 cents to a round.

If you're a reloader, you're on better ground.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Some guy asked me about a Garand with a protruding magazine like a BM59 that was stamped "Alpine Sporter."

I told him to ask Walt or Clint at Fulton Armory.

I wonder who put that Alpine stamp on back then?

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Some quick research turned up something called an "Alpine Sporter".  These were Schmidt-Rubin 96/11 and 1911 rifles that were imported in the 60s and converted to .308.  The barrel was cut down at both ends and the stock shortened.  In addition to the rear-sight, I think the bottom of the mag was also stamped ".308 Win".

If yours is one of these, it should be perfectly safe.  If it's a "bubba" conversion, you might want to have it checked first.  I read a thread where one person accidentally fired a .308 round in their 7.5 K31.  Although the casing failed and it blew gases back in their face, the rifle was completely undamaged.  In other words as long as it headspaces properly, there should be no safety problems.

If it were me, I would carefully chamber the round, sight in the rifle, then move my head away from the rifle and fire.  If the fired casing looks normal (no excessive stretching or bulging), then I'd declare it safe and keep on truckin.  This obviously isn't the best way to headspace a rifle, but it's what I do when I don't have any gunsmiths in the area with headspace gauges in oddball calibers.

LL

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Very interesting.  I think if I were to see something like that, and it weren't a total bubba job, I'd have to drop $80 for it.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Very interesting.  I think if I were to see something like that, and it weren't a total bubba job, I'd have to drop $80 for it.  

I'm not sure if it would be cosidered a bubba job buy collectors since old guns isn't really my thing.......
But the average gun guy would be hard pressed to tell it wasn't factory or done by a compitent smith in my opinion.......

The person who owned this rifle was told and still beleives after i talked to him last that this was factory..........which from evryone i've talked to says know way thats possible .......and he"claims" to be an old gun guy.....he's just broke right now........

Regardless..........if you get a chance to pick one up and like 308's this is a find.........
My best friend who also likes 308's is now in the market for one........
It may not have any collector value ever but it is a shooter
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, there definitely is a difference between a bubba hack job, and a nicely, professionally done sporterization.  If I ever see one like that, and it fits the description given above for the Alpine Sporter... I'll snag it.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#18]
NO! Its definately NOT safe to shoot! you should get rid of it and, as a friend, I am willing to dispose of it for you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top