Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 5:26:36 PM EDT
I recently picked up my first Mosin, an M38 in nice condition.  This rifle is so much fun to shoot that my AR’s including my new le6920 are starting to feel left out!  My question is, if you want to carry a Mosin or other bolt gun with rounds in the mag but no round in the chamber is it safe to load say 4 rounds in the mag then push the rounds down with your thumb and let the bolt ride over the top as you close it.  This leaves 4 rounds in the mag and the chamber empty.  When you need to fire you simply cycle the bolt and fire.  I started doing this because the safety on the Mosin is very difficult and clumsy to use.  I have also used this procedure with SKS’s.  What say you?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds fine to me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't see a problem with it. I love my mosin 91/30.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds fine to me, but I'm not an expert
I hate the safety on my mosin
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Imposable for the rifle to fire without first cocking and pulling the trigger in this manor.  I would consider it safe.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Mosins have a safety?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
sounds fine to me, but I'm not an expert
I hate the safety on my mosin

+1 uggh
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#7]
That's exactly how I carried mine in my trunk (they make a great trunk gun).  Just get one of those shell holders that goes over the stock from academy or oshmans.  They hold an extra 9 rounds.  Keep 4 in the mag below the bolt, and your set.  If you're gonna keep it as a trunk gun, coat the whole thing inside and out with CLP and your good to go.  

-mark
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies.

MauserMark,  Did you keep the striker cocked or do you then dry fire, or otherwise release the striker?  This brings me to another question although off topic.  Is it ok to dry fire Mosins?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#9]
yes it's okay to dry fire them, I've never really heard of a WWII bolt action that could be damaged from dryfiring, although I'm sure every gun can eventually be damaged from dry firing even say... glocks...?

Yes I keep it cocked, mainly because I didn't feel I needed to dry fire it, there's not a round in the chamber so it doesn't matter.  And actually the bolt requires more force to open after the pin has been released, so keeping it already cocked makes it a little (although probably no real difference) easier to load fast when called upon.

-mark
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mosins have a safety?

What he said, I didnt even know they had a safety.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mosins have a safety?

To apply the safety on a mosin:

Pull back the bolt and turn counter-clockwise.  Let it down.  It will rest on the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mosins have a safety?

To apply the safety on a mosin:

Pull back the bolt and turn counter-clockwise.  Let it down.  It will rest on the receiver.

I found that it's easiest if you put the butt of the stock in the crook of your elbow (against your bicep) and use your thumb and index finger to pull and turn the bolt. It is not a good design and does not work very well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Putting my Moisin on safe is easy.  Putting it back into the fire position is hard to do without pinching the tip of my index finger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top