Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 12:02:14 PM EDT
I took the K31 and some GP11 to the range today to sight in the scope. I was shooting front sandbag rest and I was not shooting my best. I could tell that I twitched a couple of shots. The group was still very good, 1.65 inches center to center and 3 touching. If I could get rid of the twitches I think that sub MOA is possible.

You just cannot beat a rifle that shoots MOA with "surplus" ammo, even if the Swiss surplus is equal to most match ammo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome.  I just got my 1st K31 from AIM this week.  I haven't shot it but am in love with it already.  I have 4 SKS's and I've fondled this baby more than all of them combined.  It was also so easy to clean up and the bolt is a sinch to break down.  I just got a scout mount for my M44, so when I put a scope on there I'll take the two to the range.  I'll probably out shoot the scoped mosin with the k31 and open sights.   I get a nice work bonus here in a few weeks so I'll probably pick up a half dozen of them at the $89 price.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish you guys would stop posting pics of your K31s with scopes. I have one with the diopter setup and 3 others plain. But I just cannot afford another mount and scope right now
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I took the K31 and some GP11 to the range today to sight in the scope. I was shooting front sandbag rest and I was not shooting my best. I could tell that I twitched a couple of shots. The group was still very good, 1.65 inches center to center and 3 touching. If I could get rid of the twitches I think that sub MOA is possible.

img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/K31Scope.jpg

You just cannot beat a rifle that shoots MOA with "surplus" ammo, even if the Swiss surplus is equal to most match ammo.

nice man, when are we gonna meat up on the west side?  I'll bring my swiss.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Scopes and diopler - guys please excuse my spelling and total ignorance, OK?  Cut me some slack here because I'm learning.

What hardware and where do you find it on the internet - scope MOUNTS and the dopler sites?

Thanks,  Ps. you won't hurt my feelings with a little flaming just so long as you give me some good info in the process.  Regards!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
www.grafs.com/vendor/735

This is where I got my clamp on mount. The diopters are EXPENSIVE. I would love to have a set but I will have to do with the scope.

Here is a good one:

www.swissrifles.com/~swiss-sights/
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn you guys that post pictures! I just had to order another K31 so I can buy a scope mount to put on it!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Dammit, would everyone please stop buying K31's!  At least until I've finished buying all I want.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dammit, would everyone please stop buying K31's!  At least until I've finished buying all I want.

yeah I guess that's the only type of rifle they'll let you own in CT huh?

j/k.

my K31 craze days are over for the moment.  gave away my other one yesterday to a friend, now I have my one prized refinish work.  Still not sure if I want to take that leap forward and spend around $200 to have it scoped.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I stopped at six to let some of the others get some.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I think they look even prettier in groups!  This will only be my second K31 but first walnt.  I also bought a bayonet to go with it.  I try to find other guns to buy,  I can make it more justifiable if I don't already own one, but these Swiss just look and shoot so good, it's hard to purchase anything else.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
JohnRippert: Nice looking rifles! Thinking about getting my FIRST one. Where do you get yours from? Thanks Greg
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
All of mine were purchased through AIM Surplus in the last year.

I added up the total with shipping on all of these and it averaged out to $75 each. Even considering the scope mount was $100, more than I spent on the rifle it is on, and the $30 6x42 scope I have spent less than $600 on everything in that pic.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#14]
John, how do you clean your stocks?  I've tried numerous things, Murphys soap, Scott's liquid gold, constant scrubbing and I can't seem to get them looking really good.  I'm scared to go full on Purple Power, didn't really want to fully refinish them.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I clean with Dawn dishwashing liquid first, and then I follow up with Simple Green. I get it from my auto parts store around the corner. After the Simple Green I hit it with Dawn again then let it dry. I use BLO on pretty much all of my rifles. They usually get 5-6 coats minimum. I think the wood is better off with a good degreasing before oiling. I am not messing with any of the original finish, I just want to protect where the finish has worn.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry for so many questions, but do you use straight Dawn?  Thanks for the help and advice!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#17]
the first post  picture makes me think something... Center mounted scopes are a problem with K31s due to the top eject/charging configuration.   But with the scope as high off of the receiver as in that picture, if it were center mounted, would the rifle at least eject spent cases without the case getting stuck in front of the bolt?  

I can imagine a set of rings about that height, directly tapped and screwed into the receiver in front of and behind the ejection port, with some manner of thin sheet steel deflector a few mm below the scope to protect the scope.  

These rifles are surely well crafted and accurate enough that some of us probably wouldn't mind dropping a little $$ for some kind of setup like that.  Heck, for a scoped 'bolt' rifle, I don't care about not being able to load it with a charger.  With the K31, just drop the magazine and load from there!  

Right now, I think if I decide to scope one of my K31s, I'll get the left side drilled/tapped mount.  I will want to get several more K31s to leave as-issued before I decide to alter one, though.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#18]
skm0308:

Yes, I just squirt some Dawn on a wet medium bristled brush and go to town. Then after washing off, a good liberal amount of Simple Green, let sit for a few minutes then wet down again with SG, let sit and wash off. One more wash with Dawn to get rid of the remaining SG and dry.

Matthew_Q:

When I first got the scope mount it was strange getting my eye over to the scope. Now that I am used to it I just lay my cheekbone over the top of the stock and everything lines up nicely. Plus I don't have to alter the rifle at all.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#19]
The pressure was too much; I had to place another order for 2 K-31's.  I just hope I can stop at six.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#20]
John,

I might have to try me one of those clamp on mounts.  Would be nice since it's easy to get on and take off.  I could try it on both of my K31s... and any others I'll get in the future.  :)  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Just a question for the K31 guys.

How much do you free-float your barrels?  Was reading it's better to not tighten the screws on the stock rings, but not to keep them too loose.

-mm
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I have not even worried about it. All my screws are tightened down.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
my K31 craze days are over for the moment.  gave away my other one yesterday to a friend, now I have my one prized refinish work.  Still not sure if I want to take that leap forward and spend around $200 to have it scoped.

Same here.  I have one that I did a full restoration job on.  I don't have a need for any more than one, especially when there's so much other good stuff still out there that I want.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top