Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 3:09:11 PM EDT
MI requires a purchase permit to do the FFL transfer, and registration within 10 days of purchase.
What do I do about C&R pistols? Can I have it shipped to my house, and fill out the purchase permit myself? Then register it at the local po-po?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
We had that here in Missouri until mid-1998.  I never faced it but it would be interesting to know the outcome.

Dennis  Jenkins

Quoted:
MI requires a purchase permit to do the FFL transfer, and registration within 10 days of purchase.
What do I do about C&R pistols? Can I have it shipped to my house, and fill out the purchase permit myself? Then register it at the local po-po?

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was in NY where you have to have a pistol permit to even buy a hand gun you had to ship your pistols through an FFL and jump through the hoops just like for any other pistol. No point to a C&R in NY unless you just want to use it for long guns. Saves you nothing for pistols.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I pulled this off the Michigan.gov site, under the MSP section of handgun laws:

An individual must apply to their local police or sheriff's department for a License to Purchase a Pistol prior to obtaining a pistol, whether by purchase, gift, loan, etc. A license to purchase in not needed for an individual with a CCW license.  However, a NICS check must be completed by the FFL (Federal Fireams Licensee) prior to the transfer of the firearm.

The police authority will check for any criminal record at both the state and national level.

The applicant must answer gun related questions on a Basic Pistol Safety Questionnaire, with at least 70% correct, and swear before a notary that they meet the statutory requirements to own a pistol.

The License to Purchase a Pistol form must be completed even though the applicant may already have possession of a pistol, such as through an inheritance. Federal firearms licensed dealers are not exempt from this section of the law and must also get a license any time they purchase/acquire a pistol from an individual or another gun dealer. There is an exemption only for dealers purchasing pistols directly from the manufacturer or wholesaler.

Just my .02 interpretation:.....

A C&R is a type of FFL, so you should be legally bringing the pistol into the state by having it shipped directly to you.  You will probably have to register it with your local P.D. after the fact though, don't know if CCW exempts this part if you get one.  Couldn't find any reference to C & R firearms on the state sites.

Of course this is just my take on it.  I live in a very gun friendly county, so I'd just call and ask my Sheriff.  I 've heard other counties are a pain to deal with though.

let us know if you get a REAL answer.

-B

ETA:  You might try posting this in the Hometown MI forum..there are some good C&R guys over there that may have the state specific rule you're looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top