Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 5:21:47 PM EDT
Unfortunately no one was home to sign for the K31 I ordered, but they left the ammo on the porch.  

Is it best to wipe off the green coat of wax where the bullet meets the brass before shooting to prevent buildup?  Or leave it there for lubing purposes?

Also, comparing it to a 7.62x54r, other than the rim they look fairly the same.   How big a kick do you get from your K31 compared to an M44 Mosin?

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave the wax, it won't make a mess and isn't worth the worry to remove.

I don't know about the kick from a Nagant, but the K31 has a rather stout recoil.  My guess is somewhere between .308 and .30-06.

Enjoy.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Also should I keep my extra brass?  I toss the Mosin brass, but as expensive as the K31 ammo is, is there a need to keep it?  Is it reloadable?  I don't reload but I'm sure people who do would buy it if it was.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I just shot my K31 for the first time yesterday and it does have a little stouter kick than the M38, but the sweet trigger pull makes you forget about any recoil at all!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just shot my K31 for the first time yesterday and it does have a little stouter kick than the M38, but the sweet trigger pull makes you forget about any recoil at all!  

it won't stop there.  You'll need a walnut (or if you have a walnut) you'll need a beech wood version.  Then you'll want one to mount a scope, then then.......

it won't stop, just go with it

and from my understanding the wax is there to help insure easier removal of the shell by the rotating bolt.  In other bolt actions, the torque you put on the bolt from turning it manually is enough to release a round that may be stuck to the chamber do to fouling.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Also should I keep my extra brass?  I toss the Mosin brass, but as expensive as the K31 ammo is, is there a need to keep it?  Is it reloadable?  I don't reload but I'm sure people who do would buy it if it was.

Reloading berdan primed brass is a pain in the ass....and not usually worth doing. Toss the brass. 7.5 Swiss is very easy to make, or reload using commonly available 7.5 or .284win brass....no need to save it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reloading berdan primed brass is a pain in the ass....and not usually worth doing. Toss the brass. 7.5 Swiss is very easy to make, or reload using commonly available 7.5 or .284win brass....no need to save it.

+1 on the .284Win brass, it is not difficult to reform into 7.5,  depending on the make of your die, you may need an expander button for your decapping rod to go from 7mm to .308.

.284Win brass is much easier to obtain at this moment than boxer primed 7.5 brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top