BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 11:19:10 AM EDT
Heads up AIM has “shooters grade” Yugo 59/66 on sale 80$

www.aimsurplus.com/
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always wondered if the bores in these things are total crap, seeing that they weren't chromed lined and had a ton of corrosive shot through them.

-mark
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've always wondered if the bores in these things are total crap, seeing that they weren't chromed lined and had a ton of corrosive shot through them.

-mark

well find out soon I just ordered one.

Finnaly breaking in my C&R after damn near 2 1/2 years of having it/
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
A corroded grenade launcher gas valve is a BIGGER problem.  A lot of these short stroke.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

-mark

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
keep us updated.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I got one the last time they had them at this price. It came with a bent Front site hood and pin, the stock was pretty chewed, had some mismatched numbers, and the finish was pretty worn. Even with all of that it is a great shooter, all I have done is replace the front site pin and shot a metric buttload of ammo through it.

ah thats good to hear. yeah I figured the stock would be beat to shit. I also figured hell its a SKS its got to be pretty hard to fuck one up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got one the last time they had them at this price. It came with a bent Front site hood and pin, the stock was pretty chewed, had some mismatched numbers, and the finish was pretty worn. Even with all of that it is a great shooter, all I have done is replace the front site pin and shot a metric buttload of ammo through it.

what kind of groups did it give and how was the bore?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A corroded grenade launcher gas valve is a BIGGER problem.  A lot of these short stroke.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

-mark

Dennis is 100% right. Years of shooting corrosive takes its toll on the gas valve, and finding a new one is next to impossible. I have had 2 that exhibited gas leakage at the valve and they did short stroke.

However, it's curable. If you take the gas tube off, and the valve nipple is corroded or looks like its not sealing (you'll get blow-by around the valve), then here's what you do:

1. Take a piece of .45 brass, and use a dremel cutoff wheel or wire saw and cut a piece out of it about 1/16 to 3/16" wide. You want a small "ring" that will act as a gasket over the nipple.

2. File and make the ring smooth and consistent (easy way is to take the cut edge and rub it over some emory cloth).

3. Take a propane torch, and heat the ring until it's just slightly glowing red, then dunk it in some water or oil to quench. After doing this (annealling), it will be very soft. If you heat it too much, it'll break so experiment to find it out.

4. Now, push the ring over the nipple, you'll have to force it on there, but it'll go. Then, push the gas tube onto the nipple/brass to seal up the leaking nut.

This works great, both my bad shooters now run 100%.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a totally numbers matching Yugo recently for 2 bills.  Very worth it for the condition.  I've seen $120 ones that functioned as well, but none so pretty with zero wear showing.  This thing is almost mint.  You can see some bad pics of it here. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=390542&page=2  I put a 30 round mag in it that after 1k rounds is failure free and a scope.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
It's nice when you can identify the problem.

I've got an 1978 Albanian SKS that jams one round out of ten in random order from either side of the magazine.

I swapped my Yugo mag to it and it does the SAME thing even though the YUGO is dead reliable.

Maybe I'll just shoot it some more.  Looks like it was carried a lot but shot very little.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a shooter grade Yugo and traded it for a mint one and about $80. Considering the small difference in price (I paid 120 for the shooter and 180 for the mint) I'd stick with the mint. My shooter's barrel looked like the inside was made of cast iron even after firing 40 rounds through it and cleaning the hell out of it twice. The piston and push rod were corroded and the springs were covered in rust. Oddly, the valve was fine. The front half of the gas cylinder had been replaced, I've never seen anything like it before.

The mint version I traded the shooter in on was just that, mint. I don't think it had ever been fired. All matching #s, perfect blueing, and beautiful wood. Heck, even the rubber butt pad looked new!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I got a totally numbers matching Yugo recently for 2 bills.  Very worth it for the condition.  I've seen $120 ones that functioned as well, but none so pretty with zero wear showing.  This thing is almost mint.  You can see some bad pics of it here. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=390542&page=2  I put a 30 round mag in it that after 1k rounds is failure free and a scope.

yeah you got an unissued, or excellent condition one.  They've been everywhere for the past 3 years or so.  AIM has them now for $140.  not a bad deal, especially since they're C&R.

-mark
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Finnaly breaking in my C&R after damn near 2 1/2 years of having it/

Don't feel too bad.  I sent in my 3-year renewal before I ever bought a gun with it. (I had to have it in Missouri for other reasons though).
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Reveived one of the specials yesterday, overall very nice exterior condition and wayyyyy better than I expected with an occasional rust spot here and there and it also came with a cleaning rod but no other accesories. The stock and recvr are one serial # RXXX517 and all the other parts are another # RXXX520 and everything has the same assembly #.

Gas valve moves freely and the bore was pretty rusty from gas valve too muzzle but should clean up fine.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully the yugos made better SKS's than Albania. I have a good condition Albanian that wont fire more than 2 shots in a row before jamming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top