Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 11:08:12 PM EDT
Just curious how many trapdoor owners are in here.................and a question.....

Any of you guys have something like this burned into the comb?
This particular rifle did come from the old National Guard armoury in Portland....my great-uncle was in the gaurds in the '30's, took a few home before they were destroyed with the rest. I know there is at least one other floating around, as my grandpa sold it in the late '80's  ....but I'm curious if any other states did something similar.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The trapdoors' last hurrah was with many of the State Guards.....with the regular Army having replaced it with the Krag, and then 1903. It was actually still in many Guard Armories until the 30's when they were finally purged.

With some lucky ones getting to take them home like your Great Uncle and Grandfather!

The Guard units commonly marked them with their state of origin....I have seen many a NY marked trapdoor. Its definitely a neat piece of history....
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Many years ago, for my B-Day, my father-in-law gave me a beautiful US Springfield Trapdoor in 45/70 with the original leather sling, original US marked bayonet and scabbard with leather belt loop.  Cartouche is very faint, but still discernable.  I love that thing, not to mention the sentimental value it has to me.  Last Christmas, he gave me a Harper's Ferry, one of the one's that, I believe, was converted from flint lock to percussion cap.  My dad-in-law rocks!!!

Edited to add:  No, mine does not have those, or any other initials burned into the comb.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Heres my two... McM
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Heres my two... McM
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/onebigjoe/trapdoorammo013.jpg

Very nice, McM!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Very nice, McM!!

Thanks cloak, the lower one was giving to me as well along with the bayonet.  McM
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Trapdoors are great rifles! One of my neighbors here has used an origonal calvary carbine as his main deer rifle for over 35 years! He loads his own, and shoots it on a regular basis, not babying it whatsoever and has killed countless deer with it.  He does not consider it a novelty...I used to make fun of him for it...now I envy him.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't flame me but I shoot a repro H&R Officiers Model. Any of the Original Officiers models I have seen are way past my means and with my eyes the tang sight is is pretty much a must have .
I came across it like new (really unfired- $450! ) in a beat box that looked like it had been shoved around in someones garage for 20 or 30 years. I have so much fun shooting this that I ditched my Petisoli Sharps that was a much nicer gun but nowhere as much fun to shoot .
I need to set aside some cash and buy a original regular trapdoor !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top