Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 7:40:11 PM EDT
I can't get my M48 to fire reliably. I've tried 4 different types of ammo through it and I get maybe 3 in 10 to fire. The firing pin is leaving nice imprints on the primer. I tried all 4 ammos through my buddies VZ24 and they all fired fine. Where should I start with getting this thing to fire?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming for the moment that the headspace is ok, take the bolt apart and clean the inside real good. Make sure there's nothing keeping the firing pin from going all the way forward. If that's ok, get a new firing pin.

I've had both problems. sometimes the indent from the FP on the primer looks ok, but isn't. Once I had a small chunk of hardened cosmoline inside the bolt. On another mauser the FP tip was worn down. It looked ok until I compared it to another from the same model mauser.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
How do I take the bolt apart?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You're kidding, right

For the un-initiated:
www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mauserboltdisassembly/index.asp

Please note, Steps 1, 2, & 3 are VERY important to easy and successful bolt reassembly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're kidding, right

For the un-initiated:
www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mauserboltdisassembly/index.asp

Please note, Steps 1, 2, & 3 are VERY important to easy and successful bolt reassembly.

Well I'll be damned....my buddy took his bolt apart for-ever-ago and swore you needed a vice and pair of channel locks to do it. I'm gonna try this right now...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You got cosmo in your bolt. I got a new m48 a few years ago and had the same problem as you did, it sturck good but wouldnt fire. Take the bolt apart and clean all the junk out of the spring completely. 100% relaibel after that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#6]
That wasn't so bad. I pulled to bolt apart and it was dripping with crap inside. I gave it all a real good wipe down and spray with CLP and now the bolt seems to unlock alittle bit easier. Now I'm tempted to go to the range tomorrow....Taking the bolt aoart  was alot easier than I thought. Thanks again Pthfndr!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#7]
the mauser bolt is an absoluet PITA to take apart, well at least my RC K98 bolts have been.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Get some steel wool around a brush on a drill motor in there. Really clean it out.

rk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top