Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:00:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Check this site. I found it when the C&R forum made me a Turk moderator. It has a lot of very good info on the various rifles the Turks used.
Off the top of my head I would say it's probably a GEW98, but that is a wild ass guess.
HTH,
Jim
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not a mag cutoff, if you're talking about the rectangular piesce of metal on the side and below the right of the reciever and inletted into the stock, it's a recoil lug they retrofitted on. ALso the reciever should have a notch cut in the center of the front reciever ring to allow the longer 8mmX57 to be used in strippers. There should also be a guid rail in the left locking lug raceway so that the bolt doesn't bind passing through the thumb notch (am I right??)

IS the reciever marked "AS FA ANKARA?? with the crescent moon and such??

If all the above is the case, you have a german made (obendorf) M93 that was retrofitted with the recoil lug, notch for loading in the reciever front ring, thumb notch, guiderail and guiderail notch in the left locking lug, in whatever year your gun is marked on the reciever, by the turkish govt.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#5]
WEll, I wouldn't say they're special, just a curiosity. Since they are older rifles and have even thinner recievers than originally (because of the removal of old markings) I'd stay with mild loads. My handloads for mine don't go over 40-45 000 c.p.u.
I do use surplus turk ammo in it, it hasn't harmed it yet and after all thats what these things fired, and I imagine they are more than 45 000 c.p.u. Your serial number I imagine is that cyrillic on the lefthand side, as is on mine. You got it for a heck of a deal, $30 sheesh! They're selling routinely for $249.00 or so (probably cause you don't need an ffl to get one and they know people will pay it.
My bore isn't so good out twards the muzzle (thanks to mohammeds see-sawing grit covered cleaning rod I Imagine. The stock on and behind the wrist had longitudinal cracks all around it, about 8 of them, so I saved the original and ordered a $20 swede 96 stock with all the hardware, and then just cut it out for the bastardized recoil lug and put it and the action together, worked like a charm.

I was thinking of getting a M38 but I just bought a Yugo 24/47 on impulse today so I guess I won't get one for awhile. Oh well, gotta do something with the check the govt. gives me every two weeks.

Have fun with the thing, but like I said, watch your ammo, that gun isn't too strong.

Oh, almost forgot, you'll notice there is no gas bleed holes on the bolt body, so if you use old/low quality ammo and get a ruptured head or a pierced or popped primer, all the propellant gasses are going to wind up in your eyes along with any metal shavings and oil they picked up along the way through the bolt to your face.
I'll admit it, I drilled mine with two vent holes positioned as found on swede mausers, you may or may not want to do the same. Mine was a rustbucket so it was just a restoration/tinker/test project. If yours is especially good you may not want to alter it.

Sorry for being long winded, hope this helped.

P.S. WHat level medic are you? I just finished my military basic battlefield medicine and my civvy A.M.F.R. not too long ago

Cheers,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top