Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 6:32:40 AM EDT
Hello one and all,

I now see that AIM Surplus has Lithgow Number 1, Mark III's on sale for $109 -- shipped  ! !

Guess the stocks have several repairs, but not sure on the metal and bore condition.

Anyone have any experience with these Lithgows ? ?

Thanks  !

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably more Indian reworks, nothing to get excited about. I'd cough up $200 and buy a nice one from Brian Dick at BDL and get something solid, myself. In 10 years the real Lithy might be worth $600, the punjab rework won't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Lithgows can be some really hard-lived rifles.. Bores especially.  You have to keep in mind that they used these a LOT longer than the Brits.. Through the Korean war IIRC.  Ishapores can be fine guns, but I've never seen one I'd take over a Lithgow (heh, or BSA) in the same condition.  They're a lot more hit or miss.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Lithgows can be some really hard-lived rifles.. Bores especially.  You have to keep in mind that they used these a LOT longer than the Brits.. Through the Korean war IIRC.  Ishapores can be fine guns, but I've never seen one I'd take over a Lithgow (heh, or BSA) in the same condition.  They're a lot more hit or miss.

You bring up a good point, and something to consider if you run into someone selling an "unissued" Lithgow. The chances of finding one are slim and none. They all saw use, and the only ones that escaped it were rebuilds put into stores (these are usually barrel-dated in the 50's). Pre-WWII or even 40's dated Lithgows in pristine condition should be eyed with great caution.

Jovino company (JJVO or JVCO) usually stamped their parts guns behind the bolt notch on the receiver, and if you see a minty Lithgow, check for this stamp. It's likely a part gun built in the US by Jovino. Might be a good shooter, but it's still cobbled together and not original. Some of these Jovino guns also were built without recoil blocks and are prone to stock splitting.

Just FYI.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Lithgow from AIM when the when on the market a few months ago. All matching, bright bore, and excellent wood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top