Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 3:29:16 PM EDT
I saw a ad in blue press about Mitchell's Mausers Yugo M48. It has a great price and seems to fit my needs wants. But before I made the purchase I thought I would ask around here just to make sure there wasn't a better deal around.

Is there a distributor that offers the Yugo M48 at a lower price or in better condition?

would it be possible to find a functioning German 98k in resonable condition for $700 or less? Or is this just wishful thinking?

I have done several searches, but maybe I am missing some reputable C&R rifle dealers. Could you please post some links to C&R dealers that might have good deals on a wide variety of mausers?

I appreciate your help.....

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you look around a bit you should be able to find an M48 quite a bit cheaper than Mitchell's Mausers.  There's still RC Mausers around.  I'm not up on the prices though.  Depends on how much you want to look around.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I saw a ad in blue press about Mitchell's Mausers Yugo M48. It has a great price and seems to fit my needs wants. But before I made the purchase I thought I would ask around here just to make sure there wasn't a better deal around.

Is there a distributor that offers the Yugo M48 at a lower price or in better condition?

would it be possible to find a functioning German 98k in resonable condition for $700 or less? Or is this just wishful thinking?

I have done several searches, but maybe I am missing some reputable C&R rifle dealers. Could you please post some links to C&R dealers that might have good deals on a wide variety of mausers?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have been having the very same debate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you browse Auction Arms, Guns America or Gun Broker you should be able to find a unissued Yugo M48 / M48A for about half what Mitchell's charges, and it will likely be in almost the same condition. You might just have to clean it. The Yugo M48 (and the Mitchell's rifle) are not true K98 rifles.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Order any type of mauser from AIMsurplus and I will say you will get a great looking rifle in return. I got a czech mauser from them and it is in excellent condition.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Is this a trick question?
SOG sells K98's to C&R holders for $195 and up. You can pick the code and year from what they have avaliable. Check their web site.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:03:02 AM EDT
[#6]
AIM Surplus

Very good conditioned M48's and excellent condition 24/47's.  Both at about 1/2 of what Mitchells wants for theirs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your responses.

I had no idea that these vintage military rifles could be so affordable. I will continue to do some researching. If there is anything else anyone would like to add then please let me know.  

I am just looking for a WWII production mauser that still fires safely and has a decent finish. Odds are I probably wont shoot it much. I just want one as a collectable. Although I would definatley like to shoot it occasionaly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out AIM surplus Czech mausers. I think they only have the rifles with the crest ground off left. These were refinished but the qulaity is excellent.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I got my Russian Capture K98 for $170 with capture screws and the cleaning rod.  A sweet 1943 Sauer.   Got the front sight hood for $6 at a gunshow.

$700 would damn near get you a K98 with SS proof marks.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Southern Ohio Gun has a new batch of K98's for $149 with C&R Lic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but I will ask anyway: If I can find a C&R licensee locally would I be able to purchase it from him like I would any other firearm?  Or is there some sort of technicalities I need to worry about?

Thanks again all,
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but I will ask anyway: If I can find a C&R licensee locally would I be able to purchase it from him like I would any other firearm?  Or is there some sort of technicalities I need to worry about?

Thanks again all,

A Curios & Relics (C&R) License is for personal firearm collecting purposes only. Any gun you see online that is C&R eligable can be shipped to your door like you were a dealer. You cannot resell the rifles with an intention of making money off of them (e.g. if you make an under-the-table business out of it). A C&R FFL is only ~$30 for 3 years, if I recall correctly.

Basically, if you don't have a C&R, just order whatever you want to online, and have a local dealer receive it and transfer it to you like any modern gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, Just one more question then I will let this post die.

What is a good online source for researching the German 98k and its thier codes?

thanks for all your replies, they were all very helpful.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, one good source is gunboards.com they have a dedicated 98k forum. A great reference to pick up would be "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" by Richard Law. While not perfect, and hotly debated by hardcore collectors, it is a good basis on which to begin. He does cover all year/make code combos, history, correct part markings, etc.

As far as the Mitchell's...well, I have my own opinions on them. Personally I think they charge WAY too much for humped up, post war, no history rifles. They are misleading in some of their ads which would lead some novices to believe they are getting mint German 98k's when they are really getting post war Yugo's.

If you want to find a 98k, you can easily go with the nyriad of "Russian Capture" pieces all over the milsurp market for $350 or less. They are Frankensteins, since the Russians took all the captured 98k's, stripped them down to component parts, refinshed them, and put them back together with no concern of matching numbers. But they are genuine German 98k's that saw service on the Russian front....

You can still find original, non "RC" 98k's too, from $250 up to $1200 depending on condition and originality. Granted many of these are comanding higher prices nowadays, good bargains can still be found.

If you really want an original German WWII 98k, don't settle for an M48...but be careful, they are like potato chips, you won't stop at one....I now have 18, no RC's amongst them, most are bringbacks....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#15]
So...if a local shop has K98's in the $180-$250 price range (iirc), that's cheap?  I haven't looked at those in a while but I know they did have them and I think that was the price range.

I gotta stop reading this board.  I'm a collector by nature and a gun owner and the two things come together into a very expensive hobby.    Now y'all have me thinking of getting another K31 and maybe a K98.  Plus the CZ52 is still lurking out there...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#16]
taggy
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top