Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 5:30:59 AM EDT
Hello one and all,

A fellow shooter at my local club has a Enfield for sale. Knowing that I really enjoy the Enfield rifles he has offered it to me first.

Rifle appears to be a "Jungle Carbine" but the receiver is marked "No.4 Mk1/2"

Stock and handguards appear to be in very good condition and the metal has been refinished in a matte black finish. Bore is very good or better. All numbers match. Flash hider and bayo lug. Rubber butt pad appears to be new.

If not mistaken, I read "somewhere" that several Enfield rifles were "converted" to the Jungle Carbine and offered for sale not too long ago.

Now I realize this rifle is not worth what a "real" Jungle Carbine would be worth, but though it would be a nice "shooter" to add to my collection.

So . . . . . are these rilfes safe to shoot ? ? Do they really "thump" ? ? Any idea on what is the value ? ?

And any other opinions greatly appreciated too ! ! !

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Been a fairly common conversion over many years.  Real No 5's are scarce and typically expensive.  Hence the conversions.  

BUT, they are mule kickin' SOB's to shoot.  Don't know what it is about that configuration but it is one of the worst kicking guns I have ever fired.  

Value for the converted ones is not much.  I wouldn't pay more than $150 for it.  It's a chopped up No 4 with zero collector value and frankly not a lot of shooting value.  They  are neat looking things but not the most practical shooting rig ever invented.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Hackjob.  Pass.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Grab it as soon as possible.  I consider my No. 6 and No. 7 Gibbs "hack jobs" the handiest and most useful rifles that I own.  They don't thump like the real No. 5's because they haven't been lightened too much, so have no fear.  Of course, sustained bench shooting might get a little uncomfortable, but you can shoot offhand all day.  Please buy, shoot, enjoy, and eventually cherish this rifle (If it shoots straight). I do mine.  I only spent $250 for one and the other was a gift from my shooting buds.  Now they are getting scarce, so GRAB IT!!!  

Great for hog hunting, carrying, plinking.  Heck, I even ran mine through a tactical course once.  I got a few looks before I shot.  Then a few more when I was done!  You can also purchase 5 round hunting mags for them.

Here you go, just for fun:

-White Horse

ETA:  Notice my thumb in the pic.  Unless you like to get socked in the nose, this holding method is advised.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks gents . . .

for the replies and opinions . . . .

Now some may think I'm crazy, but . . . . . I bought the rifle  !  Paid all of $125 for it.    Already have two Number 4's and really love the 303 caliber.  

Fellow shooter met me at the local Steel Plate Shoot yesterday and said I could try it out before I bought it -- not a bad deal  !   Had along 20 rounds of old Middle Eastern ammo and all rounds went "BANG !" -- along with a couple of hang-fires (must be bad ammo  ! )

Anyway . . . .

another trip to the local range tonight with my 15 year old son.  (he took along a Mak of mine and a couple boxes of ammo -- but that's another story . . . )

Set up my first target at 50 yards to see where the rifle was shooting "on paper" -- then out to 100 yards.  From the bench 4 to 5 inch groups were the norm at 100 yards.  Not to bad, I thought, for a 60 year of rifle and ammo dated "1954" and "1959" -- can you spell "cordite " ? ? ?

Anyway -- she thumps, but not as bad as my M-N 44's and 38's.  

After I had fired approx 40 rounds my son comes over and says "let me try that thing  ! "    Like I said -- 15 years old and about 5'8" and 125 pounds in the pouring down rain.

Anyway - - I have him slip on my sweatshirt -- for a little "protection" -- and he loads the mag with five rounds.  

Should have seen the grin on his face  ! !   He then loads up the mag and fires about another 30 rounds.  Shooting at large rocks out to 300 yards -- and hitting them about 50% of the time.  No doubt he could hit a man size target at 300 yards with this rifle with ease.  

Now I realize she's not an "original" Number 5, but have a feeling the boy and I are going to have a lot of shooting fun with my new rifle . . . .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top