Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 6:05:01 AM EDT
I have a Winchester 30/30 lever action that my Dad left to me when he passed away. It's well over a hundred years old and still shoots like a dream but it does have a problem. I was leaving it stored at my Mothers house. Her second husband decided to refinish it himself. I have no idea why he did this because the original finish was in awesome shape. Trust me, this guy is a moron. Luckily he is now history also. The rifle itself is still perfect, but his refinish job is horrible and I do mean bad! I would like to get it refinished to as close as original as possible. Can anybody suggest the absolute best place to get it refinished?

I don’t usually worry about looks in a rifle, but this baby is special.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited to fix my mistake.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a Remington 30/30 lever action that my Dad left to me when he passed away. It's well over a hundred years old and still shoots like a dream but it does have a problem. I was leaving it stored at my Mothers house. Her second husband decided to refinish it himself. I have no idea why he did this because the original finish was in awesome shape. Trust me, this guy is a moron. Luckily he is now history also. The rifle itself is still perfect, but his refinish job is horrible and I do mean bad! I would like to get it refinished to as close as original as possible. Can anybody suggest the absolute best place to get it refinished?

You sure about that? I did not think Remington ever made a lever action, are you sure it isn't a Winchester?

There are several restoration gunsmiths out there that specialize in this area. You may want to check the gunsmith section of The Gunlist for starters. Get your check book out and ready, most of the better ones ain't cheap. As I recall, there is one guy named Doug Turnbull that does all lever action restorations and has the correct finishes. He ain't cheap, but he is damn good from the pics. I have seen.

www.turnbullrestoration.com/
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a Remington 30/30 lever action that my Dad left to me when he passed away. It's well over a hundred years old and still shoots like a dream but it does have a problem. I was leaving it stored at my Mothers house. Her second husband decided to refinish it himself. I have no idea why he did this because the original finish was in awesome shape. Trust me, this guy is a moron. Luckily he is now history also. The rifle itself is still perfect, but his refinish job is horrible and I do mean bad! I would like to get it refinished to as close as original as possible. Can anybody suggest the absolute best place to get it refinished?

You sure about that? I did not think Remington ever made a lever action, are you sure it isn't a Winchester?

There are several restoration gunsmiths out there that specialize in this area. You may want to check the gunsmith section of The Gunlist for starters. Get your check book out and ready, most of the better ones ain't cheap. As I recall, there is one guy named Doug Turnbull that does all lever action restorations and has the correct finishes. He ain't cheap, but he is damn good from the pics. I have seen.

www.turnbullrestoration.com/

You are 100% correct and it is a Winchester. It looks like I needed another cup of coffee this morning.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]
You might also Google search under firearm or rifle restoration and see what else comes up.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You might also Google search under firearm or rifle restoration and see what else comes up.

Good luck.

10-4, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top