Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2005 4:08:18 PM EDT
I don't understand how the list was composed.  Is there a certain date, e.g. 40 years old?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see how anyone could understand the BATF or their list.

I am not an expert.  I heard they did revise the list to where ALL of the garands were covered by the list instead all of them except the last year or two.

I'd want to see that from the BATF though.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I don't understand how the list was composed.  Is there a certain date, e.g. 40 years old?

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is the word from the BATF web site.  It contains the list of C&R firearms, which are only a small part of the firearms that are C&R.  As a general rule, all firearms that are over 50 years old are automatically C&R.  Most C&R firearms are not listed.  The definitions for what makes a firearm a C&R are in the first section of the list.

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/2001index.htm
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't see how anyone could understand the BATF or their list.

I am not an expert.  I heard they did revise the list to where ALL of the garands were covered by the list instead all of them except the last year or two.

I'd want to see that from the BATF though.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Here you go.
ATF March 2001 to December 2003 Update
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Usually fifty years or older or if they have collectors interest, you can also submit a weapon w/ corresponding documentation for consideration to the ATF. I have two M1s, one made in '45 the other in '55. Some of the albanian sks's were made in the sixties and seventies but they qualify as C&R due to rarity and uniqueness.  I believe the key is the receiver age.  The finns made some of their M39's on antique receivers from russian 1891 Mosin-Nagant rifles, even though the top of the receiver is marked w/ the year the rifle was converted the underside of the receiver tang is usually marked w/ the original build date.  These rifles would be considered an antique since the receiver was made on or before the year 1898 even though the top of the receiver might have been marked say, 1941. Good luck on all your searches.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 4:44:19 AM EDT
[#5]
From the list:

U.S, model 1911-A-1, .45 cal. pistol, mfd. by Union Switch and Signal Company, prototype model, with S/Ns US&S Exp. 1 to US&S Exp. 100.
* U.S., model 1911-A1, semiautomatic, pistol, cal. .45, mfd. by the Singer Manufacturing Company in 1942, S/N range from S800001 to S800500.
* U.S., model 1911-A1, semiautomatic pistol, cal. .45, mfd. by Remington Rand, bearing S/N prefix of ERRS.
* U.S., model 1911-A1 semiautomatic pistol, cal. .45, produced as original factory cut-a-ways.
* U.S., Rifle, cal. .30 M1, original military issue only, produced prior to 1956.
* U.S., Rifle, cal. .30, MC-1952, equipped with telescopic sight mount MC, telescopic sight MC1, marked U.S.M.C. or Kollmorgan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top