Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2005 10:18:58 PM EDT
I know it is different for rifles and handguns, but I am trying to get prepaird as early as possible so I am all ready to get my first batch of C&Rs ASAP (Luger, Garand, 98k etc). I already know you don't sign your original license, only the copy, but what else is needed? Any other form of ID? CoE? etc.

In particular, I live in California, and while I think I know how the rifles work, the handguns are making me nervous as the laws are sometimes not too clear. So aside from the C&R license, what else is needed to have a handgun shipped to you? Or must it go through a real FFL? What about buying in person?

Bonus Question: As I understand it, it is illegal to buy a firearm in a different state than your home state. C&Rs let you get around this for C&R weapons, right? Does that apply only to rifles, or ALL C&R guns?

I am just kind of confused/nervous because the laws are more strict with handguns than rifles, and I want everything to be legit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
OK.....with you living in the "People's Republic of California"...there's no telling what silly state laws you need to comply with....

....but on a FEDERAL level.....you see somthing you like, you send the seller a photocopy of your license (after you sign the copy in ink...preferably a color ink of some sorts, like blue), and you receive your new "toy".   That simple.   It applies to any C&R firearm, other than "class 3" stuff (you can have class 3 C&R's send directly to you as well, but only after jumping thru all the "normal" ATFE hoops to aquire anything full auto.  The C&R lets you recieve it directly, as opposed to having to get a class 3 dealer to accept it for you...saves you some $$$).
But remember, all this applies to C&R firearms ONLY.....you can't use your license to order an AR or Glock...
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand that it only applies for C&R only, I just wasn't sure if there needed to be a secondary form of ID to get Handguns. For example, in California there is a 10 day waiting period on all firearms and you must still wait 10 days even with a C&R license. If, however, you have a Certificate of Eligibility from the CA DOJ, you can get C&R rifles instantly; also, if you have a CCW, you can get handguns instantly. I wasn't sure if you needed some other form of ID or "responable gun owner paper" along with the C&R license.

I know I still need to check CA laws to be sure, but I was kind of hoping someone here would know them and be able to give me some more advice on them, as the CA DOJ's website is, well, lacking at best.

So to be sure, on a Federal level, I place an order with anyone and provide my C&R license, and they could ship any handgun, say that Luger I want, to me directly with no other strings attached?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

In particular, I live in California, ....

Per CA law, the only C&R firearms you can have SENT to you legally in CA are long arms, i.e. rifles and shot guns, and they have to be 50 years old or older. C&R handguns would have to go through a 01 FFL.

If you travel outside the state then you can use your C&R license to buy anything that is ok per federal C&R laws and bring it back in. The only exceptions to bringing it back in would be things specifically banned by CA law, such as a rifle that meets the CA definition of an AW. A C&R handgun still has to be registered when you bring it back (see my response to your post in the hometown forum).

You can use your C&R to purchase in any other state. No other I.D. is required by law, but a individual shop or person might ask you to provide a photo I.D. to cover THEIR ass. Not an unreasonable request in this day and age.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Per CA law, the only C&R firearms you can have SENT to you legally in CA are long arms, i.e. rifles and shot guns, and they have to be 50 years old or older. C&R handguns would have to go through a 01 FFL.

Well that sucks. I was all excited about getting some C&R Makarovs and CZ guns mailed to my door. Im still waiting for my C&R paperwork. I guess its will only be usefull for building my WW2 collection of long arms.

I love living in CA. Woopee!hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well that sucks. I was all excited about getting some C&R Makarovs and CZ guns mailed to my door. Im still waiting for my C&R paperwork. I guess its will only be usefull for building my WW2 collection of long arms.

I love living in CA. Woopee!

You can buy them at a gun show in NV or AZ. J&G Sales has them and they are in the Phoenix area IIRC. Just take a copy of your C&R with you.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
How exactly do out of state sales work? I just hand them a copy of my C&R license? Or do they make a copy? Do I have to sign either in front of them?

I woulnd't mind driving to Arizona from time to time to pick up a couple handguns if I could find what I wanted. Just call up some known places, ask what they got, and hit several places in one visit. Hell, I could even take my lady friend and make a night of it and stay at Vegas...

EDIT: I know the answer is no, but I want to make sure. There is no way to legally bring any firearm from Mexico to the US, right?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How exactly do out of state sales work? I just hand them a copy of my C&R license? Or do they make a copy? Do I have to sign either in front of them?

I woulnd't mind driving to Arizona from time to time to pick up a couple handguns if I could find what I wanted. Just call up some known places, ask what they got, and hit several places in one visit. Hell, I could even take my lady friend and make a night of it and stay at Vegas...

EDIT: I know the answer is no, but I want to make sure. There is no way to legally bring any firearm from Mexico to the US, right?

When buying a C&R out of CA, some dealers want to keep the signed copy. Others just want to see it and record your C&R license number and name in their bound book for who the disposition was to. I've had it done both ways. I've also sent a signed copy of my C&R when buying out of state by mail/internet/phone and had them send it back to me with the rifle.

I sign any copy I take out of the house before I leave the house. Just in case I should lose it no one else could forge my sig and use it.

You could probaby legally purchase a firearm in Mexico and bring back. Just NOT with a C&R. I would imagine the BATF has other paperwork needed to import.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top