Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2005 7:43:27 AM EDT
I want to pop a scope on it and use it for medium-to-long distances.  I've heard the Swiss rifles are very accurate as are the Yugo Mausers.  My other way to go would be a Garand with a scope, but they're a little more money for a little less accuracy, or so I hear.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Go buy one that has already been played with--you can get 1917 Enfields that have been reworked as hunting rifles for about $200-300 for a really nice one. That way, you don't have to modify an original rifle and hurt the C&R collectors' feelings. 1903 Springfields are the same way. You can probably find British Enfields that have been "bubba-ized" for dirt cheap, and .303 hunting ammo is still around and not super expensive. Chopped Mausers of 8mm flavor are pretty good, and usually pretty cheap. Or the cheapest of them all would most likely be the Mosin-Nagant--$50-125 for a rifle in good shape, plus a little more to get a scope mounted--probably a "scout" mount would be easiest.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Swiss K31 - $100
St. Marie Scope Mount - $90
Scope - $200

This is what I'll be using for Boomershoot, but I'm sure it'd be a great hunting rifle as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#3]
IBTCAYTBARBEOUGIAACIASOFKAAI

"In Before The Collecters Advising You To Buy A Remchester, Because Every Old, Used Gun Is Automatically A Collecter's Item And Suitable Only For Keeping As An Investment"  

+1 to Dar48' s or Florg's suggestion.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the k31, it is more accurate than the yugo, but not a lot.  The k31 has a short (for me) lop which may be good if you are wearing heavy clothes for cold weather hunting.  I would suggest a set of mojo dual apperature sights for the k31 instead of a scope.  I would also suggest that you reload.  I personally think that I would use the yugo mauser, I have a 24/47 that would fit the bill, but if you are looking at mounting a scope then a 48a might do better for you since they have turned down bolt handles.   I think that you may also wish to look at the mosin m38 or m44.  Short, relatively accurate, and much easier to carry through the brush than most full sized military rifles.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Id go mauser 8mm can do anything .30-06 can
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Based on my 14 calibers on hand, I'd say Yugo mauser if palm-size groups at 100 fit your plans. Only 140ish for exc condition, and more importantly there are lots of 8mm hunting loads at the corner store.

Do you know if that 8mm hunting ammo is manufactured here in the States?  Also, do I need to do anything to the rifle to get it to use commercial ammo like you need to do to a Garand?
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you know if that 8mm hunting ammo is manufactured here in the States?

Yup. Federal makes a softpoint round that would work for hunting.

Also, do I need to do anything to the rifle to get it to use commercial ammo like you need to do to a Garand?

Nope. It's a bolt action, so no gas system to worry about.

X
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#9]
For hunting, I'd go with the K31.  Given:

I like the K31's action and reputation.  

I reload, and intend to get 7.5x55 dies and brass and load for it anyway.

The rifles are amazingly inexpensive for the overall quality of build and design.  

Mojo sights are available for not a lot of $$.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd say the Finnish made M39 Mosin-Nagants.  Very accurate for military surplus.  Shoot the readily available and potent 7.62x54R.  Ones in excellent condition can be had for under $250.  And Darrel over at Milsurpshooter.NET makes a kick-ass scout scope mount for them for like $60.

My $.02...

- AG
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#12]
i like the m39 option too. not only are they accurate but have a good degree of collectability. same can be said about the swiss rifle, but the ammo for the m39 is very cheap and plentifull.
i currently have 4 m39's and 2 k31's and i feel they are the best deals in milsurps right now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd agree on the 3 rifles previously mentioned (M48, M39, and K31). Accuracy-wise, they'll all shoot "minute of whitetail". If I had to pick one for ergonomics, it'd be the K31. It just fit's me better than the other two. Feels right. Knowhutimean? It's prolly the least as far as off-the-shelf ammo, but I reload. I heard a while back that Darrell has a scout scope mount in the works for the K31 (no drill, bubba free mount).

X
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree with DR_X that the human engineering of the K-31 is superb.  The length of the buttstock is just right, and it's not front-heavy at all.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I agree with DR_X that the human engineering of the K-31 is superb.  The length of the buttstock is just right, and it's not front-heavy at all.  

Amen +10 w00t!

Seriously.  Even the most turd-looking K31 you can find on some rack somewhere is going to look absolutely great internally.  The Swiss have a reputation for making really great mechanical things... and the K31 is part of the reason why that reputation exists!  

Like someone said it, if the K31 were made today and marketed for civillians, they would cost around $2k.

Added:  Here's some sight options for the K31.  Sight Options for K31

The bad thing is, the rifle costs $80 or so... some of those sights, and installation, can cost 5x as much as the rifle!  
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I killed my buck last fall with a M38 and a 2X scout scope/ mount  The 7.62X54R is similar to a 30-06 ballisticaly and pretty cheap at least in surplus ammo.  Most Mosin Nagants are pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an m-48 Yugo Mauser, with a "scout scope" set up and I use it deer hunting, and I just love it! Its accurate and deadly on whitetails...the best bargain in a deer rifle out there at the moment I think. Just use hunting ammo that is the same weight bullet as your practise ammo, and remington Power points seem to damage the meat quite a bit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Edited cause I totally misread the question!  

The K-31 sounds like exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:19:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I would have to vote for the  No.4 mk1 enfield.  the latest bunch are inexpensive and in pretty good shape.  a couple of companies make scope mounts that replace the rear sight that mount the scope in the traditional position(not scout type).  the bolt handle is already truned down.  there is alot of hunting ammo made both in the us and overseas.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Based on my 14 calibers on hand, I'd say Yugo mauser if palm-size groups at 100 fit your plans. Only 140ish for exc condition, and more importantly there are lots of 8mm hunting loads at the corner store.

Do you know if that 8mm hunting ammo is manufactured here in the States?  Also, do I need to do anything to the rifle to get it to use commercial ammo like you need to do to a Garand?

I've used Remington CoreLokts, shoot right on point of aim for me. But the rnd is a bit shorter than std so it stubs a bit in feeding; slamming the action rams the tip into the side of the chamber face but two gentle cycles (pull bolt halfway back then fwd again) never failed to get it to feed right.

I personally don't like any of the domestic 8mm hunting ammo it seems like it is loaded to light, That's why I use Hot Shots ammo it cost me $10 for 20 rounds it has a soft point and is loaded with either 150 grain or 170 grain bullets and are loaded to military specs. I use the 150 grain ammo because it is consistant, and it shoots identical to the Turkish 8mm I usually feed my K98. The only other option you would have for hunting ammo for the 8mm Mauser besides Norma ammo it to go and try to find the 195 grain Hornady soft point ammo which is a pain to find. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I have chose the enfield.  I use a .303 and a .308 ishiy n01 mk3.  I decided on them because of the safety.  The other milsurp safetys just arn't as handy in my view.   I put BSA windage adj rear sights on both and the .303 was drilled and taped for a mount when I got it.  Don't expect  much resale if you alter them but what the heck there cheep!  I am rebarreling a yugo to 260 rem this weekend also.  will give it a try.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I used my old British .303 fer years hunting Elk.  It was a fine meat gitter.  Never scoped it though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#25]
the top one came that way and the lower one a friend that did that type of conversion stuff to mausers talked me into it.  I had purchased 4 of the .308 ishy's and one then became that.  had to turn the bipod around,  it came off a m40 sniper rifle, so it wouldn't catch on stuff.  It works pretty well and it holds its zero.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top