Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2005 1:31:29 PM EDT
Everyone is asking about them, but to my knowledge no-one has posted pictures of a received K98 from SOG, so here's mine, just in the door 20 minutes ago! (Bayonet was NOT included!)

*This swastica is not peaned*

*This swastica looks to be peaned slightly, but the eagle is still intact*

I am very pleased with this rifle.  The numbers match on the receiver and the stock, but nowhere else.  No electro-pencil.  Bore is bright.  The extractor is a funny purple color however.

*Note* I chucked out the $10 for handpick on this one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is my RC K-98, from AIM, after it got all nice and cleaned up.... BTW, nice rifle you got there.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle 1shott!  

Did your rifle have the red shellac finish when you got it?

I can't decide whether to keep it the way the Ruskies wanted it or to put it back the way the Huns intended it to be.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#3]
my K98 from AIM, mausers are the coolest milsurp rifle.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nice rifle 1shott!  

Did your rifle have the red shellac finish when you got it?

I can't decide whether to keep it the way the Ruskies wanted it or to put it back the way the Huns intended it to be.

Oh yes, good ole Ivan dumped that rifle in a barrel of shellac. I washed it off useing Formbys furniture restorer and then put on a coat of clear poly urethane, yes I know, BUT the urethane gives the rifle the finish coat I wanted.

It turns out, as Ifter I cleaned the stock, it is a lamiated stock, I was nqt expecting that .

I would have went for a more true finish after I cleaned the rifle,  but since it is not all correct, I thought what the heck. The sawastikas on mine are all intact.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#5]
what  do I do to polish the metal?  It has what I might call rust, but it's not.  Not sure what it is, don't know if polishing would make it better or worse.  would it be stupid to nickel or chrome plate a mauser? (just the metal).  a local shop does that for guns if you want.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:37:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I would have it re-blued if anything. I left the metel on mine, as it is, I just cleaned it off in mineral spirits, and wiped it down with CLP.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one from SOG 2 years ago.  It was a nice byf44.  I had 3 k98 RC's and sold them all.
Someday I'll find a nice bringback.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok wait a sec. It might seem like there are a lot of 98k's around right now but really there are only a very small finite number. Once they get re-blued, nickled, or sporterized that's it. Granted the RC's aren't as nice as an original bring back , but left alone or carefully stripped their value can only go up dramatically.
-JR
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would have it re-blued if anything. I left the metel on mine, as it is, I just cleaned it off in mineral spirits, and wiped it down with CLP.

well, my dad's 60'th birthday is this year, in a few months, and he loves mausers, even though he's only had one, that he still takes out and shoots.  We have a military room/library, so I was thinking of ordering another k98 from AIM, sanding down and treating the wood like I did with mine and maybe nickel plating the metal and making it as a presentation gun, to mount on the wall.  

what do you think?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, my dad's 60'th birthday is this year, in a few months, and he loves mausers, even though he's only had one, that he still takes out and shoots.  We have a military room/library, so I was thinking of ordering another k98 from AIM, sanding down and treating the wood like I did with mine and maybe nickel plating the metal and making it as a presentation gun, to mount on the wall.  

what do you think?

Sound sgood to me. I have a friend who has a Nickel plated Smith Corona 1903A3, man that is one sweet rifle. It is a wall hanger also, looks good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Heheheehe.....you guys buying Russain Captures don't look too hard for non-RCs !  I went to a local gunshow and bought TWO (2) GI bringbacks for $430.00 ! ! !   Yep, no Soviet Electro-Pencil serial numbers  or brandings in the stock.  Just  TWO (2) K98k's untouched by Soviet hands.

Well....the less you guys make an effort to find NAZI Mausers the more for me ! ! ! !

Dan G.
Girard, PA  USA
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Heheheehe.....you guys buying Russain Captures don't look too hard for non-RCs !  I went to a local gunshow and bought TWO (2) GI bringbacks for $430.00 ! ! !   Yep, no Soviet Electro-Pencil serial numbers  or brandings in the stock.  Just  TWO (2) K98k's untouched by Soviet hands.

Well....the less you guys make an effort to find NAZI Mausers the more for me ! ! ! !

Dan G.
Girard, PA  USA

I like my RC K-98, it has the proven history of being in the war on the Eastern Front, add to it the Russian history of it as well.

Mine also has all the swastikas and codes intact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top