Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 8:49:33 PM EDT
I just bought an arsenal refurbished M38, excellent condition.  One thing, took me forever to figure out the safety, I knew how to do it from reading early articles but I didn't realize I had to make my hand bleed trying to pull it back.  holy shit, I've never felt this kind of difficulty in engaging a safety.  Please tell me it will loosen over time.

thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I forget it even has the safety.  I won't get any easier unless the main spring gets sacked.

At least they didn't do what the French did with the MAS 36.  The 49/56 has a heavy trigger and a safety.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I just bought an arsenal refurbished M38, excellent condition.  One thing, took me forever to figure out the safety, I knew how to do it from reading early articles but I didn't realize I had to make my hand bleed trying to pull it back.  holy shit, I've never felt this kind of difficulty in engaging a safety.  Please tell me it will loosen over time.

thanks.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
What did the French do with the Mas?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup. A friend of mine hunts with one.  That's the way they are.

But I've always wondered...you're a soldier on the front lines, it's minus 20, your fingers are half frozen...how the hell are you supposed to work the damn thing?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The MAS has no safety but has a heavy trigger.

The French didn't chamber a round until they were ready to fire.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
And we have jokes about Italian rifles...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
You just noticed? Every article on the Moisins mentions that clunky safety. The Finns carried the rifle slung with the bolt open. Clip loaded before engagement or any time they expected a firefight. Mostly ignored the safety. I'm sure the russians did the same.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:57:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:29:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

thanks.

Time has already gone by for that model. What you see is what you get. That rifle was designed with Russian farmers in mind in the late 1800's and I don't think saftey was a prime concern.
I read an aritcle about them having fixed bayonets and the generals sending them into battle with NO ammo.(the orignal Nagant)   Good rifle though, I have some of them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey!

The M44 I had you couldn't set the safety even with a come-along. My MN 91/30 needs moderate force to set the safety. At the range it's no big deal. You ain't shooting it's unloaded. If you're thinking about hunting with your MN, just load four instead of five rounds in the mag and keep the bolt closed on an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw a movie where they just had rifles for every other man.

The second guy just received a stripper clip of ammo and was told to just pick up a rifle when the other guy dropped it.

Enemy at the Gates.  Cool movie.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks.

Time has already gone by for that model. What you see is what you get. That rifle was designed with Russian farmers in mind in the late 1800's and I don't think saftey was a prime concern.
I read an aritcle about them having fixed bayonets and the generals sending them into battle with NO ammo.(the orignal Nagant)   Good rifle though, I have some of them.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]
that's basically what I do. the bolt on my M44 will stay in place if I just move it up from the locked and loaded postition as going all the way up to be able to slide it back requires and extra bit of force right before it goes all the way up. it's enough to disable the trigger but the bolt basically stays closed and it's faster to lock the bolt down than it is to mess with the safety

Quoted:
You just noticed? Every article on the Moisins mentions that clunky safety. The Finns carried the rifle slung with the bolt open.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope, they always suck.

Bolt closed on an empty chamber is the way to go.  Heck, you can work the action WAY faster than you can disengage the safety.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out this site for an idea for the safety. Looks like it would help. Haven't done it to mine yet, but probably will soon

Steve Wagner's site

archer2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top