Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2004 11:59:51 AM EDT
I would like to pick up a 98K Mauser Carbine. Sadly it appears only the Germans made them, and that means basically two options. Original German, normally non-matching and 400+, or Russian capture, which are mutilated by elctro-penncil, and non-matching number, all of which for only $200+ .

Recently I found a Brno M98K with Winter Trigger-guard. The rifle was manufactured by the Germans in Captured Czech plants. Very nice, however the asking price is 279.99 and on sale now for 259.99. Basically out the door at $275.  I can't help but feel they exist cheaper else where. After poking around all I have found is another place online selling them in "Very Good" (65%) and "select" (80%) for $199.95 and $209.95. While initially a great sounding deal, which is still roughly $250-280 in my hands. Hardly an awesome savings.  Has anyone else seen these rifles for less?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The winter trigger guard model was available from SAMCO for a long time.  Many, if not all of these were manufactured post war by the Czechs.  A large number of Czech Mausers ended up in the hands of the Israelis.  The Czechs were one of the few countries that would sell to the Israelis, but it was cash and carry only.  Later, the Israelis rebarreled their Mausers to 7.62 NATO.

These are good rifles.  

Another source for K98ks is Yugoslavia.  The Yugos build rifles on ex-German Model 98 receivers.  Often these can be found in great shape, all matching numbers with an excellent bore.  A very similar rifle is the Yugo Model 24/52.  These are build on 1920s era Czech standard length Mauser actions.  These too can be found in great condition.

While the Model 98s were German, you might want to consider an FN Mauser.  There are many carbine length FN pattern Mauser action rifles.  Keep in mind that the FN is an intermediate length action, i.e., slightly shorter action than the MOD98.  These are available as Yugo M48, M48A, M24/47, and the M48BO.  The first three are generally less expensive than the BO based on the lower production numbers of the BO.  The only differences in these are relatively minor.

Regardless which Mauser carbine you get, I strongly suggest a PAST or some sort of substantial recoil protection.  While we guys are all macho and can take brutal recoil, you will live to regret not protecting yourself when you get older and your joints begin to remind you of every liberty you took with them.

Have fun and make sure you adequately clean your rifles when done for the day.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what you want a Mauser for.  If you just want a Mauser to shoot, get a Yugo.  Excellent guns still availible for a reasonable price.  If you just gotta have somthing German be prepared to pay accordingly.  

I went with the Yugo and have no regrets.  Quality is at least as good as the late war Germans and probably a damn sight better.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Its not that it needs to be "German" but it needs to be that "design".

I can't stand the look of this rifle..

And I love the look of this one.

The problem is I also hate electro-pen and the thought of numbers not matching.
The bottom rifle is an example of a Brno M98K ofline, I wish the one localy looked that good.  I also don't really care about date of manufacture. Also why is it German Mausers are so expensive when compared to Arisaka's?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Then go with a Yugo.  I don't know about the laminated stock, but you can have the sling slot and matching numbers.  Check with AIM or Military Gun Supply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top