Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2004 11:43:00 AM EDT
Took the Schmidt-Rubin K-31 that I got from Aim out to the range todayand was very impressed!aimsurplus.com/  The stock of course was not pretty but the fit and finish of the metal parts was excellent and the reciever has no repair/rebuild stamps on it which I had hoped meant that this rifle had not seen much actual shooting.  I fired 10 shots at 50 yds for safety/function testing and then moved out to 100 yds to see how she would shoot for accuracy.   At 100 yds this is the first 5 shot group I fired from a rested position:

I was startled to say the least and fired several more groups and found the results easily repeatable.  Yes these rifles do indeed shoot very well.   Much better than I can.   The only caveat is that the recoil is not for the faint of heart but is manageable for most.  The surplus Swiss ammo is not cheap either and is unfortunately Berdan primed but I can live with that.   Everyone should own one of these!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet, I have yet to shoot my K-31......
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah be honest, you were 5 feet back weren't ya! Just kidding! Very Nice! I might have to get me one of those!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice.... will have to see if mine can do that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Great rifle and an absolute steal at the prices AIM is charging. THough the ammo is more costly than the regular surplus.

Get two: They come in walnut and maple/birch? I've got one that is more yellowish and another that is more reddish. Makes a great pair.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
That's pretty typical accuracy for the swiss rifles. You need to remember that these rifles were carried a lot, and shot very little. So bores, throats, muzzle crowns are in exceptoinal condition. Throw in the usual swiss anal retentive engineering and you end up with a great shooter. I have 4 with another on the way. The swiss surplus GP ammo is hard to beat too. I must have gone through $200 of bullets, primers and powder coming up with a consistently more accurate load.

ETA: Why do I keep hearing people say the recoil is stout? My GF is about 5' 4" and 135 lbs. She shoots one in a milsurp silhouette match with fairly hot loads so they'll knock down rams at 500 meters and she never complains about the recoil. She'll go to the range and practice and go through 100 rounds of the GP11 ammo. In fact, she shot all my milsurp rifles and decided on using a swiss because she thought it had the most manageable recoil. Except for the swede mauser in 6.5x55, but she didn't like the stock or sights on that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I hopefully will shoot mine next week
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...They come in walnut and maple/birch? ...

IIRC, it’s walnut or beech.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine shoots great! I couldn't be happier with the accuracy from it. Using Swiss GP-11 ammo it groups 1.25-1.5" from the bench with open sights.
There is a guy at the Swiss rifle forums
that makes scope mounts for the k31's. I have one k31 that doesn't look too great but shoots fantastic, that I'm going to scope.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...They come in walnut and maple/birch? ...

IIRC, it’s walnut or beech.

Oops, thats what I get for being too lazy to look it up before posting.

edit to add: I hope that's an embarrassed icon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...edit to add: I hope that's an embarrassed icon.

It is.

I know since I use it frequently!!  

P.S.:  Anybody know where I can get reloadable brass for a K-31?  Ammo is getting to be a bit of a problem.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
A lot of people like the Grafs brass.

Norma is good but expensive.

Some people reform the .284 Winchester brass.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:
...edit to add: I hope that's an embarrassed icon.

It is.

I know since I use it frequently!!  

P.S.:  Anybody know where I can get reloadable brass for a K-31?  Ammo is getting to be a bit of a problem.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#13]
that is one of the many C&R's I have and have not shot... maybe, just maybe this weekend
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...Some people reform the .284 Winchester brass....

Thanks for the info.

I’ll have to do a quick cost comparison with the Graf ammo (I won’t even bother with Norma!), but that sounds like the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Graf's brass is ok, but not the most uniform stuff in the world. Norma and RUAG brass is good but pricey. .284 is good brass, easy to reform. Just run through the FL die and then trim. On most guns, you'll have to overcam the die a bit to get .284 to chamber (the shoulder needs bumped back a tad), but otherwise very simple.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Graf's brass is ok, but not the most uniform stuff in the world. Norma and RUAG brass is good but pricey. .284 is good brass, easy to reform. Just run through the FL die and then trim. On most guns, you'll have to overcam the die a bit to get .284 to chamber (the shoulder needs bumped back a tad), but otherwise very simple.

Just curious as to in what way the Graf head stamp brass is not uniform?

And what is it about .284 brass that makes it better?

I love all my Swiss rifles. My 1911 is arguably my most accurate rifle after my HP AR and my Swede M41b. But it is still a milsurp rifle and I don't think it benefits much even using the Norma brass.

FWIW, the Graf brass for 7.5x55SR is $125.95/500.

Their price on Winchester .284 brass is $167.31/500.

I've already gone through 500 pieces of the GRaf brass and it seemed to work almost as well as the Norma brass I tried. For a $40 difference in the price of 500 pieces of brass - 500 pieces that you would have to resize and trim before you can even use them - I'll go with the less expensive brass and be out on the range shooting
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I've not got involved with the .284 brass yet.

The .284 brass is thicker and can be reloaded more times.

Don't take my word for it.  Go to one of the swiss lists and ask that Parashooter fellow.  He has pictures. <G>

Dennis Jenkins

>And what is it about .284 brass that makes it better?

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep I am extremely happy with the results I have gotten with my K-31. They are great rifles.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top