Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 4:57:04 PM EDT
Just noticed that the long range  sliding leaf has the V-notch much farther to the left than on the fixed short range one. Is there any particular reason for this? Only thing I can think of is bullet drift at long range but that wouldn't be a constant variable from 600 to 2000 meters and the notch stays to the left the same distance all the way up so I doubt this is the reason. There has to be a deliberate one though, because all the workmanship and quality this gun has, I just can't see them being that shoddy, and I can't see it being overlooked and left un-corrected either, since this gun definitely saw service from 1915 to the 1940's judging by markings and the  upside-down trajectory correction sticker on the stock for shooting the spitzer ammunition. Anybody know why this is, or was it an accidental oversight on some armorers part? Regardless I'll have to leave it as is, the gun is all matching, right down to the barrel bands and rear sight parts.
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought of that as well, but it still seems odd to me since the fixed rear sight shoots to center yet it doesn't line up with the ladder leaf (which doesn't start until 600 meters out ) Every other rifle I have with this type of sight has both notches line up. It's definitely not because of a bent part, it was machined to the left. It has the matching last 3#s on the part, but it has an "S" stamped on the forward side of it, so maybe it has something to do with the switch in ammo. I was looking forward to doing some long range competition with it, and was concerned since that notch doesn't line up with the one that I KNOW shoots center, that I wouldn't be able to use it at 600+yards. Appreciate the reply, if anyone else knows anything let me know. I'll have to check my father's 96B when I'm home to see if it is the same. All I can say is that swede mausers are almost as addictive as black rifles!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup. Worse come to worse I just change out the slide for one that't centered (if it needs it) and keep the original until the match is done. Now I gotta work on my handloads, I think my starting point is going to be a 156gr. bullet in front of 52gr. of Ramshot Big Boy (if I can scrounge some around here)
I also go tto get one of those front sight covers for it. It's a damn good rifle, it shoots just a tad high at 100 yards with my 140 gr hunting load, but dead center, just ask a few of the deer around here.
Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top