Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2004 8:37:06 PM EDT
I just had a buddy give me his grandfathers m1917 to see if i could clean it up and take it to the range. I've got a few questions I hope some one can answer. The bore is rather uniformly rusted and pitted but after a few hours I can see the rifleing quite clearly and it extends all the way to the muzzle. So I'm assuming there is still life in this barrel. Is that a resonable assumption? If so are there any tricks for removing the rest of the rust from the barrel? And is there any thing else that i should check before trying to shoot it.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd use some JB Bore Paste on the barrel.  This is available from Brownell's and some gun shops.

This is a mild, non-embedding abrasive that's used to REALLY clean out fouled and rough bores, WITHOUT doing any damage.

I DO NOT recommend using any "expedient" cleaning methods involving steel wool, synthetic scrubbing pads, abrasive polishing products, non-gun chemicals or acids, electric drills, steel brushes, or anything else.

Nor do I recommend just shooting it as a rust removal method.

Here's some good info on 1917 disassembly:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/downloads.asp

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top