Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 5:30:42 PM EDT
$89 for what appears to be a mint condition M38.  Looks like a lacquer finish, I'd say 95% of the lacquer is still on, a little flaking off here and there.  I didn't see bluing missing anywhere.  1944 Russian Izzy.  All matching numbers.  Forgot to look at the crown.  If I buy, I'll check the barrel first.  Distributor is Interordnance, but they haven't obviously marked it.  I think I saw a 4 digit number stenciled on the receiver.  Probably put their full info under the handguard?

Good buy?

Jim

ETA:  Dammit, I keep talking myself out of a Mosin, then I keep seeing them and wanting one.  Arrgghh.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a nice one.  I got one from SOG recently for $67 delivered.  You might as well start off with the hardest recoiling one first. <G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
$89 for what appears to be a mint condition M38.  Looks like a lacquer finish, I'd say 95% of the lacquer is still on, a little flaking off here and there.  I didn't see bluing missing anywhere.  1944 Russian Izzy.  All matching numbers.  Forgot to look at the crown.  If I buy, I'll check the barrel first.  Distributor is Interordnance, but they haven't obviously marked it.  I think I saw a 4 digit number stenciled on the receiver.  Probably put their full info under the handguard?

Good buy?

Jim

ETA:  Dammit, I keep talking myself out of a Mosin, then I keep seeing them and wanting one.  Arrgghh.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:17:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Recoil? Aw heck, with a slip-on recoil pad, a magnum recoil pad on my shoulder, foam earplugs with muffs over the top, and dark sunglasses for the muzzle flash, the M38 is darn near fun to shoot!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:31:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it a Laminated stock? If so that is about right, you can get a non laminated stock M38, for a little less money, around $50 or so + shipping......
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Dangit, I just saw that SOG has 91/30s with the HEX/Tula option.  If I'm gonna get one, I'd really rather have a Hex/Tula receiver.  Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get my CRFFL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dangit, I just saw that SOG has 91/30s with the HEX/Tula option.  If I'm gonna get one, I'd really rather have a Hex/Tula receiver.  Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get my CRFFL.

YES, do it, TRUST ME ON THIS............
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Recoil? Aw heck, with a slip-on recoil pad, a magnum recoil pad on my shoulder, foam earplugs with muffs over the top, and dark sunglasses for the muzzle flash, the M38 is darn near fun to shoot!

It's not that bad.......
My M38 was hacked on by Bubba before I got her.  In his quest to get a cheap deer rifle BillyBob chopped the forearm way down & ditched the handguard for less weight.  $89 for a minty M38 isn't bad at all.  I paid ~$80 for my bubba special several years back but that was before the market was flooded with Mosin carbines (only PRC Type 53s were available & even then not too many of those).  I could've snagged a K-31 Swiss straight pull for the same money (bubba'd also ) but the ammo situation & lack of $$$$ for both meant I chose the Mosin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top