Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 8:37:38 AM EDT
I dont have any pics, so this might be hard. It is a Winchester I believe (I am going on memory). Its is a single shot .22 with an exposed hammer.  You cock the hammer, then you can push the breach down load the round the pull the breach back up. It has an octigon barrel and is fairly short. The butt end of the stock has a nice curve in it.  I could not find any model number on it.  Anyone have any idea on what model it is so I can look at some pics and verify.  I would post pics but it is not at my place right now. It looks like the Winchester Model 1885 but did that come in .22LR, and it looks to me much shorter than the Winchester Model 1885 too.  

Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#1]
"you can push the breach down load the round".
"It is a Winchester I believe".

First, it should say "Winchester" somewhere on the action or the grip tang.

Is there a lever under the action that's used to lower and raise the breech?.

If so, this is likely a Winchester High Wall or Low Wall rifle.

On the High Wall, the frame covers the breech and hammer except for the hammer spur.
On the Low Wall, the hammer and breech are more exposed.

Some of these early Winchester's are worth BIG bucks.

The problem is, there were MANY single shot .22 rifles made by a number of makers.  Without more info, it's going to be impossible to positively ID it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top