Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 8:44:16 PM EDT
Hi folks,

I just got my C&R license and am wanting to by a Mosin Nagant to add to my "WWII Collection" 2 K98s and G43.

I had a couple of general questions:

1) Is the ammo fired by the nagant (7.62x54R) exactly the same as that fired by the Dragunov, or is it a different type of ammo altogether ?

2) Where is a good website to go to to find out everything I need to know about the rifle ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
7.62x54R is 7.62x54R

there IS some "sniper" ammo to be found and other oddball types of 54R out there, same caliber as the SVD.

try here: www.cruffler.com
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the links.

Any personal experience as to how accurate these rifles are ?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Get yourself the book "The Mosin-Nagant Rifle" by Terence W. Lapin. It will tell you eveything you need to know about them. I collect them; have 14 of them. I have a 91/30 that I am making intoa balloon shoot rifle. It likes cast bullets. I installed a Pacific cocking piece sight on it. If you want one of those sights you will have to find a dealer in old receiver sights. Pacific went out of business long ago. The Mosin is an interesting rifle and was made in different variants. Mod. 91's are kinda hard to find as opposed to 91/30's. They can be fairly accurate rifles. They are in the same power class as the .308/30-06 cartridges.
You can find sniper ammo but it is salty. I bought a package of 20 for $20. Be aware that surplus ammo is generally corrosive. However the newer Wolf is non-corrosive. Better yet, reload for it. It is easy to reload and any .308 bullet will work. Sierra has a bullet for the .303 that will work for the Mosin.
The Finnish rifles are the best.  Most common is the Mod. 39. Very nice rifles.
BTW, the front sights come in different heights. You just have to measure them.My one 91/30 shot high so I put a higher front sight on it that I took off one of my other 91/30's.
Do you think you have enough information to get started now?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, Thanks a lot folks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey!

They like the 147 grain. I shoot the Czech silvertip stuff. Watch out for that "heavy ball" stuff. I have a "42" Iveshk (damn I can never spell that). It will do clay pidgeons at 200 yards off a rest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top