Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 8:34:23 PM EDT
You people showing pics of your M48 Yugo Mausers and talking about how nice they are. So last weekend I was at the Reno Hilton gun show helping my GF buy the stuff SHE wanted. Didn't even take much cash along just so I wouldn't be tempted to buy something. So this guy has an unissued M48. Almost perfect, still in cosmoline. We settled on $175. Maybe a bit too much, but then I wasn't paying tax or shipping. Got it all cleaned up, lightly sanded the roughness out of the wood, and gave it a coat of tung oil. Took it to the range today. What a pleasant surprise! Getting honest 2 inch groups at 100 yards from the bench using a front bag only. Used some Olympic ammo I had, which seemed kind of hot, and some Remington 185 SP stuff I picked up. The Rem actually shot better groups and had a milder recoil than the Olympic. The rifle was very nice to shoot and looks really sharp. It's my first 8mm Mauser. Have several Swedes and 7mm ones.

Maybe I need to buy more 8mm Mausers so I'll have an excuse to buy dies, brass and bullets and start handloading for 8mm. I hear those Persian Mausers are supposed to be pretty nice
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]
They are all kind of nice.  Sounds to me like you have just taken the first step down a slippery slope. <G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
You people showing pics of your M48 Yugo Mausers and talking about how nice they are. So last weekend I was at the Reno Hilton gun show helping my GF buy the stuff SHE wanted. Didn't even take much cash along just so I wouldn't be tempted to buy something. So this guy has an unissued M48. Almost perfect, still in cosmoline. We settled on $175. Maybe a bit too much, but then I wasn't paying tax or shipping. Got it all cleaned up, lightly sanded the roughness out of the wood, and gave it a coat of tung oil. Took it to the range today. What a pleasant surprise! Getting honest 2 inch groups at 100 yards from the bench using a front bag only. Used some Olympic ammo I had, which seemed kind of hot, and some Remington 185 SP stuff I picked up. The Rem actually shot better groups and had a milder recoil than the Olympic. The rifle was very nice to shoot and looks really sharp. It's my first 8mm Mauser. Have several Swedes and 7mm ones.

Maybe I need to buy more 8mm Mausers so I'll have an excuse to buy dies, brass and bullets and start handloading for 8mm. I hear those Persian Mausers are supposed to be pretty nice

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They are all kind of nice.  Sounds to me like you have just taken the first step down a slippery slope. <G>

Dennis Jenkins

Actually, this is about the 35th step down the slippery slope of C&R collecting
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Wait until someone tells him surplus 8mm ammo is about $.04 a round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top