Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 5:27:07 PM EDT
I received my Personal Firearms and Collector Record Book and was wondering if most people start documenting their C&R and non-C&R items (some non-C&R items were purchased many years ago) in these two books just for the sake of keeping track, or do most people just start documenting items from the time they get their license.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
YUP, I document all purchases and sales that day.......

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I received my Personal Firearms and Collector Record Book and was wondering if most people start documenting their C&R and non-C&R items (some non-C&R items were purchased many years ago) in these two books just for the sake of keeping track, or do most people just start documenting items from the time they get their license.

Bound book for C&R and i use microsoft Excel spreadsheet for all non C&R purchases. value, date, serial number. back it up in a second place just for safekeeping.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you do when you can't find paperwork for an item?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You only have to log C&R guns into a log book, and only the ones you bought or sold on your license...

The ones you had allready do not need to be logged in, only out if you sell it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You only have to log C&R guns into a log book, and only the ones you bought or sold on your license...

The ones you had allready do not need to be logged in, only out if you sell it.

Yup, that's right. I have a lot of guns pre-C&R that aren't going into the book, and hopefully never out of it either.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Firearms acquire when you weren't a C&R FFL holder don't have to be documented in any way and there is no reason do to so.  None.

-- Chuck

Just wondering....

Are there any disadvantages to logging all items in the book?
If AFT asks to review the books, would having ALL items listed sort of show them too much????
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got everything in mine, but the C&R's are annotated different. Also have everything on excel on disk.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Chuck's right.  ALL C&R eligible firearms you have must be entered into the book.  The reason is you could sell it interstate to another C&R holder.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Chuck's right.  ALL C&R eligible firearms you have must be entered into the book.  The reason is you could sell it interstate to another C&R holder.

Not quite!  You do not have to log any C&R firearms acquired prior to being licensed unless you dispose of them while licensed.  At that time you have to enter them into your "bound book" and document the disposition.

Also, there is no requirement to maintain a personal firearms record for non-C&R firearms.  The personal firearms record that the BATF puts out is not a substitute for an acquisition and disposition record ("bound book").  It is only an aid to keep track of your personal firearms and is voluntary.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:33:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why create a paper trail of your personal weapons not acquired with a C&R FFL?  You're under no duty to do so whatsoever.

I'm not worried about BATFE.  I'm worried about my wife!  

-- Chuck

Because the law says that you must for all C&R firearms that you obtain while licensed, no matter how they were acquired.  BATF put out a letter to that effect in, I think, December 2000.  Also, the regulation is very clear on that point, although some people keep trying to argue the point.

There is no requirement to document any personal firearms that are not C&R.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#14]
This is from another board I am a member of hope this helps

Tom

Department of the Treasury
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
F: PD: FB: FT: nvc
AUG 10 1998

(inside address redacted)

Dear Mr. (redacted):

This is in response to your letter dated July 20, 1998, to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. In your letter, you have inquired whether it is necessary to record the transfer of a curio or relic firearm in your acquisition and disposition records.

Please be advised that, in accordance with 27 CFR  178.125 (g), a licensed collector shall enter into a record each receipt and disposition of firearms curios or relics. Therefore, regardless of whether the curio or relic firearm was obtained using your collector's license, the acquisition must be entered into your records upon receipt. Accordingly, if you, as a licensed collector, dispose of a curio or relic firearm, the disposition also must be entered into your record book regardless of when it was obtained.

We trust the foregoing has been responsive to your request. Should you require additional information or have any questions, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,
(initialed) KRD
for Christopher M. Cuyler
Chief, Firearms Programs Division
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
what is the issue, you don't have to return your book when you drop your C&R...  if you are worried about the "black helicopers" then return your license and trash your book.  Simple as that....

FMO
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Me too. Record every one in the bound book as soon as I can after recieving it. I also use the NM Gun collecting software (purchased from AIM) to keep photos and other notes.

Edited to add: Only C&R guns purchased after being lincesed go into the bound book, but all others (Prior to license and after) go into the NM software. Forgot that what I'm thinking but not typing doesn't get published.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#17]
If, during the period you are a C&R License holder, you acquire a C&R eligible firearm (whether or not it was acquired with your C&R it must be logged.

C&R firearms that were already in your posession when you acquired your C&R FFL need not be logged.

Non-C&R firearms need not be logged and I personally do not log them.  As stated above, I feel no need to create additional paper trails beyond what is legally required.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:03:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Accordingly, if you, as a licensed collector, dispose of a curio or relic firearm, the disposition also must be entered into your record book regardless of when it was obtained.

Please note, if you owned a C&R firearm prior to recieving your license it does not have to be logger. If on the other hand you sold the the same rifle it has to be logged as a disposition "regardless of when it was obtained".

Just thought I would add mt 2 cents worth.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top