Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2004 4:51:03 PM EDT
I'm ready to bite on his $295 option. Anyone care to share their opinion? Search came up empty...
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
If you were to get one that looked as good as the one pictured in an advertisement in the new American Rifleman it may be worth the money.  It looks like it has had extensive polishing work, bluing, as well as a new stock.  That extra work as well as cleaning off all the cosmo might be worth the extra $150. over the cost of a "like new" M48 from somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#4]
sorry to drag this back up but I was thinking about getting one too.  Does anybody here own one? Or held one?  I tend to agree with Hoppy, IF they looked as good as the ones in the ad, then I'd be happy to drop the extra dough.  but I'm skeptical that they do look that good.  I'd be mad as hell if I did spend the money and got a rifle I could have grabbed at a gun show for $99.

EDIT:

Just did some searching on a few of the other boards, sounds like a crap shoot.  About half of the people who bought them said they were junk, the other half was happy.  
I think i'll just look for a exc. condition M48 somewhere else.

check this out: 209.123.183.89/members/~blackbird/ma.htm   Thanks to whoever originally posted these pics.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 2 from CDNN when they were selling them for $200.

Both are in excellent condition but needed the regular C&R cleanup. (complete disassembly and cleaning of metal, stripping the stock and re-oilling)

One of them appears to be a parts build as it is a mix and match of forged and stamped parts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw one.  It was OK, but no better than the $159 ones from Kiesler's.  Save your money for ammo .
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would be sooooooooooooooooo pissed at this one.

It's just the magazine follower that's stamped. The rifle shoots better than I can at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I was considering one as well. They are 199.99 here, in brand-spanking new condition by the looks of it. They come with some sort of fancy trigger group as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#11]

It's just the magazine follower that's stamped. The rifle shoots better than I can at 100 yards.

I have sold several of the Mitchell Collector Grade M48's in the past 6 months out of my shop.

First, you must specify M48 with milled parts.  The M48A has the stamped trigger guard, etc.  If you do not specify, you may receive the 48A.
www.surplusrifle.com/yugom48/index.asp

All in all, my experiences have been good.  I did have to return one accessory pack as it was quite aged.  Mitchell Customer Service was excellent.  They provided me with prepaid shipping account, and I received replacement kit promptly.  All rifles were excellent condition as advertised, with matching serial numbers throughout all components.

Many I have seen for less $'s at shows do not have matching serial numbers, nor the condition of accessories and bayonet.  I have not purchased any from other distributors so no comment can be offered.

Hope this helps.
Bravo5-2

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thats funny, all the dealers I know have been selling the same Yugo Mausers with all matching parts and all the extras for about $160.  Until a couple months ago you could get them all day long in that condition.

Agreed.

Bought mine for under 2 bills at a show.  After the cleaning and oiling, it looked great, and shoots a hell of a lot better than I can!

Here's a pic of her cleaned up
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Look around for an M48, or an M48A if you don't mind stamped trigger guards. Don't get hung up on finding an all matching rifle. Since it has no collector value and is just a shooter if you get one with an arsenal replaced part it's no big deal.
The auction sites, like AA, will have a lot of them being sold. I don't know who has them for sale right now, but check the big dealers. You will definately pay less than $200.00, and probably around $150.00 for an excellant condition rifle.
Mitchell's Mausers are priced way too high from MM, and even CDNN sent the M48s they sold in the original Mitchell's Mausers box with the MM accessories. Just don't buy from Mitchell's.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a $125 M48 in like new/unissued, my buddy bought a Mitchell. His is prettier but after I polish the stock, there should be no difference.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought an unissued M48 from interordinance a while back for around $140, I also got the 5 for $ 250 special from century and got one of my best shooting C&R rifles out of that batch and culled the rest.

Tom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top