Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2004 7:09:45 PM EDT
Hi, I just received my license last week and am trying to understand the restriction on disposition of firearms. It is clear that there is no intent for this license to be used in support of a business, but is there an issue with purchasing an extra firearm occasionally for a friend as long as it is properly documented as a disposition?

Thanks

Joe
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It's clear that the license is for collectors not buying rifles for friends.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Hi, I just received my license last week and am trying to understand the restriction on disposition of firearms. It is clear that there is no intent for this license to be used in support of a business, but is there an issue with purchasing an extra firearm occasionally for a friend as long as it is properly documented as a disposition?

Thanks

Joe

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Common sense says that buying one or two rifles and selling them to a friend out of many purchases would not likely raise a red flag.  However, would you want to find out the hard way?  Would you be willing to give up your license?  Why not help your friend get a C&R instead.  There is a law regarding straw purchases.  I would guess it could be applied here.  What if your friend were asked the details and they scared your friend and he admitted what you did?  Care to be in that boat?  The cost/benefit isn't great here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies..questioned answered. I didn't mean to imply some "underhanded" effort here, just a curiousity. Of course, the easy answer is for everyone to get a C&R that wants to collect, but some people never plan to own more than a rifle or two and if that is the case, they are better off buying from regular dealers anyway. My only question stemmed from the possibility that I was ordering something that interested someone who had no intention to have a C&R and whether or not the "legal disposition" of the weapon could be made by me if I ordered an item for them. There is nothing for the ATF to "scare" them into. It is legal or not and if not, end of story.

Thanks again for the feedback

Joe
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#4]
It is not legal to purchase another weapon with the intention of selling to someone else, unless you have a license to do so.

Is that what you are looking for?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#5]
As I said, question is answered. No need to carry the thread further

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:23:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Lets carry the thread further .

This is a collector's license.  It is perfectly legal to buy two or more firearms and keep the best one for your collection!  Who you sell the remaining firearms to is immaterial as long as they're legally able to own firearms.

Buying one firearm for the express purpose of selling it to your buddy doesn't meet those requirements.

As long as the purchase is to enhance your collection you're good to go.

Buy two East German Makarovs (or whatever)  and keep the nicest one.  Sell the other one.  Etc.

Don't forget you're the FFL the BATF will come looking for should the firearm be used in some illegal act.  Your buddy can spend $30 and get his own C&R FFL.\

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't forget you're the FFL the BATF will come looking for should the firearm be used in some illegal act.  Your buddy can spend $30 and get his own C&R FFL.\

-- Chuck

100% correct, but a little convoluted.  
Not many C&R's used in crimes, I suspect.
With one humongous exception in the early 60's.
But then, it wasn't a C&R yet. (when did C&R licenses begin?)

Imagine walking into 7-11 with an M48 and slapping the bolt closed.
"This is a stick-up MoFo! Don't anyone move or I'll shoot one of you, and possibly another one of you, if you're really slow!"
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-- Chuck

100% correct, but a little convoluted.  
Not many C&R's used in crimes, I suspect.
With one humongous exception in the early 60's.
But then, it wasn't a C&R yet. (when did C&R licenses begin?)

Imagine walking into 7-11 with an M48 and slapping the bolt closed.
"This is a stick-up MoFo! Don't anyone move or I'll shoot one of you, and possibly another one of you, if you're really slow!"

Somewhere, sadly, I'm sure its been done.

I just got my C&R in the mail yesterday!!  I have yet to receive the packet of info that comes with it, though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help. The safest bet is to only think of the license in simple terms as a collector. The disposition of weapons would only be relavent to the support of a collection.

Thanks again

Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top