Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2004 12:02:39 PM EDT
I was trying to determine which C&R item I should buy first.  My criteria is I want something to expand my collection.  I have been mostly a pistol person until I bought my AR15.  I now am into C&R stuff as well ever since buying my Hungarian M44.  

Which of the following (feel free to add others) will round out my collection the best?

1 - Yugo Mauser M48 or M48A ($79-$100)
2 - Scmidt-Rubin K31  ($89-$150)
3 - Yugo SKS ($99-$150)
4 - Finnish M39 shooter grade ($109-$170)
5 - Czech CZ52  ($99-$129)
6 - Russian Capture K98 ($179ish-$229)
7 - other

Issues:

- Money; I only want to spend $100-150 if possible with shipping

- I would like to get something that is more likely to cost more if I put it of much longer

- I want to be able to shoot it (no ancient impossible to find parts and ammo)

- I already have many pistols (but I get to the pistol range much more often than the rifle range)

- I don't really have any accurate rifles other than the AR15, and that covers my shoot it cheap thrill that the SKS is intended to satisfy.

- K31 I already have a bolt rifle, but its much cruder than the swiss rifles are.  Ammo cost is the only factor making me hesitate (geewiz factor seems great on the K31)

- The CZ52 is interesting to me cause I like barking pistols, and parts are available.

- The k98 action is known for strength and is the standard for all modern operations it seems to me.

- Already ruled out the 1895 Nagant revolver for ammo price/availablity.

Other weapons in my collection

1 Ruger SuperBlackhawk .44Mag
1 S&W M65 .357mag
1 Ruger MKII pistol 5.5" Target .22lr
2 Glocks 23 and 27 .40cal
1 Bushmaster AR15 5.56x45mm
1 Hung. M44 7.62x54R
1 Mossberg m341 Bolt .22lr
1 Winchester 1300 Defender 12GA

The .22's, AR15, and M44 satisfy my shoot cheap philosophy so I'm leaning to the K31 or the CZ51, I wish I could get a 9mm luger (parabellum) that would fit the criteria of under $150 delivered and C&R and strong enough for modern ammo (not necessarily +p loads)

Sent in my C&R paperwork to Atlanta Feb. 22nd, check was cashed on the 27th, and got my C&R today, March 8th.  

I'm going to get an $89 K31 from AIM I think as my first C&R purchase.  The CZ52 will have to wait.  Also, found out that M1Garand's from the CMP can be had with C&R instead of match, so thats probably next on the list.

Thanks for the advice!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/29/2004 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If you get a K31 remember to remove the plate on the butt.  Often you'll find a hangtag with the name, addy and date of the last owner.

FYI-I bought a EG Makarov as my 1st C&R buy.
Link Posted: 2/29/2004 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a CZ-52 from AIM last week. It was my 1st C&R purchase. I am very happy with it. It was $123 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/29/2004 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd get the K31... I have one right now, and one on the way.  The ones I've seen have all ben FINE examples of EXCELLENT Swiss craftsmanship.  They're reputed to be one of the most accurate military bolt rifles EVER.  

The only bitch is... ammo is expensive.  

I'm just gonna bite the bullet and order a few hundred cases, and dies.  Good thing is, it will use .308 bullets.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2004 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The K31 and CZ52 are the ones I'm leaning hardest to.  I think the K31 would get some looks at the range (as well as performing).

The CZ52 would be used more often,
The cz also has the extra spit in the eye effect for the anti-gunners.  Hand gun delivered to the house, that has got to be cool!

Thanks for the suggestions guys,  I am still waiting for my C&R license to get here (sent it on Feb. 23, ATF cashed check on the 27th, now the hard wait comes.  (at least its not the wait of a ClassIII tax).

K31 is still winning, I'd love to talk with the original owner, and the tags (if there) add some other dimensions to the collection.
Link Posted: 2/29/2004 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, the tag on the one I got even has a phone number... I think it was dated to the 70's... no idea if the guy is still there.  It's a neat personal touch...
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#6]
This was my 1st...
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The K31 with iron sights outshoots any other weapon I have.  The accuracy, especially with the GP11 Swiss ammo is astounding.  Plus - it really is a beautiful weapon.  I have two and use one of them (the more beatup one) as a brush gun for hunting deer and hog in the swamps and palmetto prairies.  A long way from the Alps, but the weapon functions flawlessly - its probably the second fastest bolt action after the Enfield as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go with the M48, I have everything on your wish list and then some, and it is still one of my favorites. I can consistently get 100 yd groups under six inches with surplus ammo. Right now 8mm ammo is dirt cheap, I just bought 2100 rounds for 93 bucks. I do like the K31 a lot because of it's accuracy but the ammo is a little more expensive. I kind of went in all directions when I first started but now I am focusing on the mausers, although I'm saving some bucks to get a Garand this summer.
Good luck on your buy,
Tom

FYI on the Nagant pistol ammo, Century has contracted to have it made and it will be offered soon.
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#9]
K31 all the way!
Link Posted: 3/16/2004 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Just an update, ordered a K31 for $89 at Aim Surplus, will post picture when it gets here....  Ordered it Monday March 15th @ 4:30pm

Link Posted: 3/16/2004 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#11]
You all better get a Yugo SKS while you can. They are running out very fast, and that's not a joke.

Read more here:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=60266&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 3/17/2004 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just an update, ordered a K31 for $89 at Aim Surplus, will post picture when it gets here....  Ordered it Monday March 15th @ 4:30pm

Great! you won't regret it.  Check out som eof the Swiss Forums on the web for some good FAQs and advice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#13]
That is the first time I heard you can get a CMP Garand with a C&R.  Is this true. for sure?  How do you go about that?

I've been debating getting a C&R, but I would fill out the paperwork tonite, if true.
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That is the first time I heard you can get a CMP Garand with a C&R.  Is this true. for sure?  How do you go about that?

I've been debating getting a C&R, but I would fill out the paperwork tonite, if true.

With a C&R license, the shooting requirement is waived.  Just fill out the application and include a copy of your license.  Doesn't get any easier than that.  You do still have to be a member of an affiliated club.  www.garandcollector.org is a good one.  $25/year and you get some interesting magazines.
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2004 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I got my K31 on Friday.  UPS driver tried to deliver to my house, I was at work of course so he left note, then he went to my wife's work and delivered their packages and delivered my package to her (too bad I hadn't told her about the K31 first)

Luckily the price was right so she didn't complain heheheh!

I'm just glad I got it without waiting the whole weekend to get it.

I've torn it down and cleaned it, metal looks really good, trigger pull is SMOOOOOTH.  Of course the stock was originally used as a hammer or something.

Serial # is 5567XX  I have a question, swissrifles.com says that is a 1936 date, Is this correct?  Reason I'm asking is that it is all matching serial #'s on the Barrel, Receiver, Mag, buttplate, stock, handguard, etc. but the stock has a date stamp of VIII 42 (which would indicate August 1942 manufacture).  It was rearsenaled in 1952.  

You can see that the bluing is pretty good

Here's the beat up stock (complete with snow damage), nice walnut colors though

Erich Sidler seems to have been a Motordriver in 2nd Panzer Company, 14th battalion
He lived at 51 Girhaldenstrasse. Zurich, Switzerland

Rifle serial # and some other # I think its his military ID # (like a social sec. #)

I'm very pleased so far, we'll know more when I get around to shooting it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2004 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Bought my second C&R, and its another K31.......

Here's the whole family (wrong bayonet for the K31s but still Swiss)

Link Posted: 5/1/2004 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Bought my second C&R, and its another K31.......

Here's the whole family (wrong bayonet for the K31s but still Swiss)

Who did you purchase these from and were the items as described by the dealer?
I have seen a number of people offer these at various prices but not sure who to buy from.
Also, does each have different wood?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Both K31's were purchased from www.aimsurplus.com.  The Dark (Walnut) stocked rifle (1936) was purchased from AIM in March (like the 15th) for $89 plus shipping (bought with 60 rounds) for $136 delivered).  The Light colored stock (Beech) was bought during their 1 day only sale April 5th for the grand reopening of there web site.  It was $79.95 delivered.

I really need to get into reloading so I can shoot it alot (I still haven't shot either of them yet).

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I knew you'd go with the swiss... I have two now, and plan on getting at least a couple more.  They're just amazing.  Even though the stocks might get to you looking like a turd, the barrels are damn near perfect... the bluing might be faded, but they look like they're brand new.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#21]
actually for a 1936 milsurp, the bluing is pretty nice (course it was reworked in 52 but still!!!!!!)
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:32:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Get a Yugo 59/66 - I love mine. Unissued for $159.

It is a great rifle.

Out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top