Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2003 3:20:47 PM EDT
I am thinking of buying a yugo m48 and the sporter mauser 98 stock with the scope mount you see in gunsnstuff. My first question is is this gun accurate? My next question is what kind of game can you hunt with the 8mm? Deer sized game or larger? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes the rifle can be very accurate.  All of mine tend to shoot in the 2 inch range at 100M.

It is slightly more powerful than .30-06 with the proper ammo.  With American made ammo, deer is about all you want to try it on.

I have some Lapua ammo that I would take on black bear with if I had the chance.

I also use it for groundhog hunting up to 325 yards. (thats all the safe shooting rage I have)

It has been a very successful rifle in this role as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
all depends on the bbl, some are outstanding and some arnt worth a hoot, if you can inspect the rifle then look for a good bore, look here a bit and you can see man many tricks to the mauser trade... I go by rem7002506 there.

http://pub86.ezboard.com/fmilitaryfirearmrestorationcorner
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I just noticed your comment about the stock.  Are you talking about the black "Scout" stock?

If so, I had one for about 1 week.  It is a sloppy design, and I doubt the ability of it to hold a scope for a long period in field use.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#4]
You can't put an M48 in a stock for a 98k Mauser. They are different rifles and not interchangeable.
The action on the M48 is about 1/8" shorter.
Sorry,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Pepper, I think he is talking about the "scout" stock. That stock will fit about any Mauser due to the sloppy way it fits on.

Otherwise, you are correct.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one of the Advanced Technologies Scout Stocks for an old Mauser that someone had tried to hand carved into a sporter. I was pretty impressed with the fit and finish as well as how it preformed. In all, I was very pleased with the result.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
That is the stock I was talking about.  I thought it was a total POS.  I took the rifle out to shoot once.  I threw it in the trash and never looked back.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#8]
i had one of those stocks to. it was trash.  i sold it to a friend for $10, he ended up trying to give it back to me.  i am not sure where it ended up, but i havent seen it sence.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
amy of you guys that are unhappy with the ati stocks, you can send them to me as I like em alot...
seriously if you have them and dont want them I will purchase them.  wont pay new price but its better than throwing them away...
let me know if you have any.
hunter

to answer the post...
If you bed them and do a little work on the stock and hand guard meeting point they are fine.
I have used them with out the hand guard as well.
there is a spacer that allows them to be used on a standard 98 or 48 action, they will not fit small rings or swedes
hunter
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are looking for a really nice stock - go to :  http://www.boydboys.com/default.htm

They have a sweet sporter stock that is drop in for a Yugo (and many others).  Only $65 delivered if you don't mind finishing it yourself.  Then pick up a B-Square scope mount that goes where the rear sight was and a decent LER scope.  You will not be disapointed.

And finally - the 8mm round will take all North American game.  Although Grizzly may be a bit iffy.  

JPM
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I picked up one of their Nutmeg Laminate stocks for $90 shipped.  It is one of the nicest stocks I have ever seen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top