Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 6:37:03 AM EDT
These are from a gun collection (part of an estate) with which I am helping a friend.  Basically, I am trying to establish a fair market value / asking price for each item.  That whole story is in another thread, if you are interested:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=216974&w=myTopicPop

These pistols may be the most problematic of all the items in the collection.  They are a matched pair of percussion cap dueling pistols, and I am afraid they are out of my collector/enthusiast league.  They were decribed to me by the owner's family as:

Complete Boxed Pair of English Percussion Pistols with Gunpower (Anti Corrosive Caps). All Loading and Cleaning Equipment.  In Original  (Needs Repair) Box, I. Blissett, 69 Leadenhall St., London. Late 1700s or early 1800s.  Each pistol has what appears to be a Crown over the Letter "V"  and a Crown over something else.

As you can see from the pictures below, they are in excellent condition, in a fitted box (less-than-excellent condition - needs restoration) with various accessories/accoutrements.  The label inside the box's lid has an English hunting scene and contains the following text:

I. Blissett
Gun Maker
To is Royal Highness the
Duke of Sussex
69 Leadenhall St.
London
-----------------------------------------
All sorts of Guns & Pistols, Retail
And for Exploration
Everything Necessary
for Sportsmen
------------------------------------------
Patent
Anti Corrosive Caps.

If anyone has a source of information where I could find out more about the history and value of this set, please let me know.  I fear my only option with these may be to have them professionally appraised.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, go with a professional appraisal.

I posted a reply to your Ruby query, another time my dad was in France or Spain, can't recall, and a buddy picked up a boxed set for a song, turned out to be traceable and verifiably owned by Napoleon Bonaparte.

Don't mess with these, you don't want your friends seeing something on the news about somebody buying these for a song.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top