Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2003 5:41:12 PM EDT

Bought these along with a K98 all came from the estate of a wwII vet...None have any import stamps....
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
nice! what's the bottom one?  arisaka?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The bottom one is an Arisaka. If you send me picts or a drawing of the top of the reciver, I can tell you what series it is, the factory made it, and a year of production.

What type of Enfield is that on top?

Av.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link to fantastic site with Japanese arsenal marks and character translations www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

BYW- is the chrysanthemum on top of the receiver ground off or intact? and do you have the dust cover and monopod?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#4]
The mum is partially ground but still there. looks like the used the edge of a file and scored it...It is missing the dust cover, and I belive it never had a mono-pod...This apperars to be a late model with the rear peep sight..

The enfield is a 1917 BSA all matching except the mag...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:56:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I know a little about Arisakas, but I am no expert.

Your rifle appears to be a late war product.  Even though the receiver is machined for a dust cover, they were no-shows by the time your rifle was produced.  The monopod and the aircraft sights were also gone by now.  I can't tell from the pix, but likely you don't have a cleaning rod...those were also stopped late in the war.  The fixed rear sight is also late war.  Does yours have the wooden buttplate?  Even so, the Japs were still croming the bore.  In its prime, the Arisaka was likely the strongest bolt action ever made for a standard hi powered rifle cartridge.  Very late the in war, metalurgy suffered.  You should have any problem shooting factory Norma.

Many Arisakas ended up in the hands of the Chinese and Viet Mihn.  The Chinese rebarreled many into 7.62 x 39.  The Arisaka soldiered on in SE Asia well into the 60's and later.  

Arisakas were not and are not junk.  

Regards,
Mark
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
7.7 Jap is very, very easy to make from good .30-06 brass.  A good source of info on this is the Guns of the Rising Sun Forum at www.mosin-nagant.net.

Regards,
Mahatma
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Mahatma8Rice

You are correct..This Arisaka has no cleaning rod..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top