Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2003 11:59:18 AM EDT
Can anybody help me find a German K98? I'm looking for a "shooter" in at least "very good" condition. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Getting a real one can be a problem since GPC started selling the stamps to fake one.

Be sure and do your homework first.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Can anybody help me find a German K98? I'm looking for a "shooter" in at least "very good" condition. Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Just order a russian Capture K98. They may be highly collectable items but they are real history and they are a blast to shoot. I have one I got last week.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been looking at the "Russian captures", please IM me when it arrives. I'd love to hear your opinion on how it shoots/looks. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Tagged, 'cause I want one too.

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Are the Mitchell's Mausers fake or real?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy a Russian Capture.

Mine shoots fine, and is very accurate.

BYF 41 code (Mauser, 1941) barrel and receiver match. Russian markings on the bolt and trigger gaurd, but not on the reciver or floorplate.

No pinged Eagles.

If you just want one to "shoot" get a scrubbed German Mauser. The Yugoslavian mausers are German Mauser with the markings scrubbed off and the Yugo crest stamped.

VERY good guns for the money.

Here is a pict of my R.C. 98K:

I added the front sight hood, cleaning rod, and sling.

Av.

Edit: shoot me an IM, and I'll check around and see what I can find for you.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Are the Mitchell's Mausers fake or real?

The Mausers are real, HOWEVER they are reconditioned!!

Not worth the asking price, unless you have money to burn.

If you want a nice Mauser to shoot, get a Yugo.

If you want a "correct" Nazi marked rifle, it will be expensive, but still less than Mitchell.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Yugo "capture", actually a Yugo reworked 98k. They are among the best deals for an 8mm Mauser rifle. The RC 98ks vary in quality but are good if you want some of the markings.
The Yugo M48 is about the best deal out here. It isn't a 98k, but a newer version with an intermediate action, about 1/8" shorter but using the same ammo- 8mm. You can get one of the M48s in excellant to unissued condition for under $200.00, and good to very good for less.
If you want one of the Mitchel Mausers contact CDNN. They sell them for much less, but are still overpriced in my opinion.
Jim
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Avalon01,
Did you remove the shellac from yours?

I also have two RC's a Yugo Kar98 and two original Kar's. If I just wanted a shooter I'd go with the RC's or a Yugo 98 ,not an M-48.
The Mitchel Mausers are overpriced M-48's that are nice , but not worth the $$$.
If you can wait there will be another shipment of the Kar's coming in that will not ( supposedly) have the shellac and paint on them like the RC's do.The price on the new shipment will be about $80 less than what we are currently seeing on the market.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Avalon01,
Did you remove the shellac from yours?

Yes I did. I also removed the black paint. Bluing under the paint was near 100%. Under the shellac were more Nazi stamps and a Luftwaffe mark.

For some reason a lot of people have problems removing the paint. I rubbed mine down with Hoppes #9 and it came off with little rubbing.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:55:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Getting a real one can be a problem since GPC started selling the stamps to fake one.

Dennis Jenkins

You mentioned do your homework, I am looking for the K98 too.  What should I make sure I keep my eye on to not get burned?  I look for the eagle but I really don't know what else to look out for.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I also removed the shellac and paint from both of mine. I just felt with the overall poor shellac that was flaking off everytime I touched it , I would remove it. I actually like it better now than with the shellac. Of course there are those out there who feel the shellac should be left on for historical purposes. I'm not one of them. I did find that the wood color now looks more like my original bring back Kar98k.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#13]
The really nice NAZI stuff can be expensive. Doing you homework would envolve reading the available literature and genenally being really careful.

I'd sure watch out for fresh looking stamps and hoosiered up sniper rifles.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

You mentioned do your homework, I am looking for the K98 too.  What should I make sure I keep my eye on to not get burned?  I look for the eagle but I really don't know what else to look out for.

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I just picked up a NON-Import(vet bring back) BYF41 for $225.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
wow some good info here. I was considering buying a mauser to convert into a hunting rifle. I have found some good non FMJ 8mm ammo but im a little lost on what to get. I am not a C&R holder btw. I would like to get a good rifle that will shoot well a bring good decent groups. I dont have to have a tack driver but i dont want a scattergun either. What are my options? are yugo mausers any good? ive found a few deals @ J&G sales and other places for under $100. is cheap ok or do i want the "genuine" german ones for $250 or more? thanx.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
wow some good info here. I was considering buying a mauser to convert into a hunting rifle. I have found some good non FMJ 8mm ammo but im a little lost on what to get. I am not a C&R holder btw. I would like to get a good rifle that will shoot well a bring good decent groups. I dont have to have a tack driver but i dont want a scattergun either. What are my options? are yugo mausers any good? ive found a few deals @ J&G sales and other places for under $100. is cheap ok or do i want the "genuine" german ones for $250 or more? thanx.

Yugo mausers are quite good, they are German 98K's that have been scrubbed. A lot of people also like the M-48A Bosnian Mauser.

Turk Mausers go for $45, but I don't know about condition. Since you are going to sporterize it, the Turk might be the best bet. You are getting a working Mauser action in 8mm, and you can bucher it without a whole lot of investment in the rifle.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are going to rebarrel the rifle the Turk is the way to go.
If you just want to sporterize a rifle the Yugo M48 is the best bet. They are not 98k Mausers, and were never issued to the military. The M48 and M48a were all made after WW2, and have an intermediate length action that is about 1/8" shorter than the 98k. You can buy a new, or near new Mauser rifle for under $150.00, and that is the best deal you will find.
hth,
Jim
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought one a year ago and have put fifty rds at a time into afoot sq at one hundred measured yds. Can't ask for a better shooter.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't think all M48s are "scrubbed". Read this.

The M48, M48A, and M48B where new  manufactured from 1950-65 at the Zavodi Crvena Zastava (Red Banner Works).

Your "scrubbed" rifles are M48BO. I am seeing them mainly being sold as the "Egypt" Mauser.

Where is obershutze916?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Also obershutze916 stated in another thread that the "Russian Capture" AIM had where no good. This turned me from buying one.

I found it. Read.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#21]
In general...all, 98K Mausers are good "shooters"...and I've shot some real bad ones that looked totally worn out...non matching numbers (but with correct head space) totally beat wood, bore that was clean but pitted like ten miles of bad road...and they would still hold good groups...say 3"...a friend of mine bought one of the $99 Yugo's and it looked bad...on the outside, but in the inside it was still nice, and it shoots as good as my new one. Buyer beware...but be advised the Mauser itself is just such a great design, that it has inherent quality, and durability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top