Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2003 2:46:22 PM EDT
I'm going to go pay for and wait 10 days for my Yugo on Monday. Once I get it, is it possible to have the bore chrome lined? Who does it? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Why?

Unless the gun is really unfired and the bore perfect, chrome lining won't get you anything.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Faster cleaning time?? I hate cleaning a lot of guns at once, but I'm REALLY anal about cleaning, so I ALWAYS clean ALL my guns all together.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]
just run a quick patch through the barrel..make sure the gas tube is clean so it don't rust.  i used to clean all my stuff right away when i got home from shooting.  i'm a bit more relaxed now.  only guns that get cleaned fast are my pistol (xd-9mm) and mausers, in which i shoot corrosive 8mm.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it would be possiable to do, to chrome line a bore, the bore itself has to be a few thousanth's bigger than the finished I.D. you want, and it also has to be rifled Before it's chromed lined,and chrome lining has it's problems as well, bores are usually not the same dia going down the tube due to diffrent thickness's of the chrome lining, not a problem for combat accuracy but it'll never be a tack driver either, So, not it's not possiable, or practial
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
a modification like that would probably cost as much as a new rifle.  they're cheap..if you're worried about wrecking it..buy 2 and keep one pristine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yugo's are very accurate especially for SKS's.  In my experience the Yugo is the most accurate of all SKS types and many say that is because the bores are not chrome lined.  

Just make sure you clean it every time you shoot it and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Chrome won't help you if the bore is good and won't help the rifle is the bore is bad.

Chrome makes sense on military weapons because it is more tollerant of bad environments and poor cleaning.  That's not going to be an issue for you.

Don't waste your money on chroming your Yugo.  Take care of your rifle and use the chroming fund to buy another weapon.

Regards,
Mahatma
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#8]
The SKS has a chrome bore to start with.  Are you saying the Yugo version isn't?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]
The YUGO SKS bores are NOT chromed.  It pays to get a nice one.  There's a lot of them with dark bores and corroded gas bypass valves.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
The SKS has a chrome bore to start with.  Are you saying the Yugo version isn't?

-- Chuck

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:41:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Dennis --

Thanks, even the Chinese versions are chromelined, just like the original Russian.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Some of the Russian SKSes are not chromed either.

I don't have one either way so I can't say for sure. <G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Dennis --

Thanks, even the Chinese versions are chromelined, just like the original Russian.

-- Chuck

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:not a problem for combat accuracy but it'll never be a tack driver either

Tell that to FN.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, Yugoslavia didn't have the right ore to chrome line their weapons. They didn't have the money to buy chrome either. Kinda sucks for them, lol.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a Yugo for AIM Surplus about 8 months ago, and it shoots great right out of the box.  Thought the bore is not chrome lined, it still strips down and cleans up very quickly.  That gun was originally designed to be quickly cleaned on a battlefield by people with little to no education, so don't worry about it.  Take the $$ you would use to chrome line the barrel and buy a recoil buffer from buffer technologies and (maybe) a synthetic stock.  The recoil buffer will keep the solid steel bolt carrier from smacking into the back of the receiver with every shot, which will prevent more wear and tear on your rifle than a chrome bore.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I've heard that if you get a recoil buffer for the Yugo, it requires some minor fitting. Is this true? I do want to get one though. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top