Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2003 8:22:26 PM EDT
I bought one today for $59 from a local dealer who said they were great match rifles.  I thought "Sure whatever, the straight pull bolt is just cool".  

This thing is rediculously accurate.  At 100 yards I put 9 rounds touching.  I have never had an out of the box rifle like this, much less one that was almost 50 years old.

Does anyone else have one of these?  I would love to mount a scope but havent been able to find one of the originals and I really dont want to drill and tap this.

I only had one box of ammo to play around with today.  I think one of my local shops stocks it.  Is $168 per 420 rounds a good surplus price?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one but have yet to shoot it..

but what you had for results of taking your's out is what I hear a lot of!

These things accuracy preceeds them!  

I have a couple bricks of ammo for mine, just need range time
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:14:24 AM EDT
[#2]
If I remember right, that sounds like a good price for the good Swiss ammo. And an exceptional price for the rifle.

I have yet to keep 9 rounds touching at 100 yards, but I've fired groups with mine as small as anything I've ever managed with any other iron-sighted rifle.

I'm a bit skeptical of some of the design features of the K31 -- it doesn't seem near as safe or idiot proof as an M98 Mauser -- but you sure can't fault the craftsmanship or accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#3]
That is pretty good even for that rifle.  They are well known for being accurate.  Along with the Swede Mausers, and Finnish M-39 rilfes, they are about the best in that catagory.

I think they are to weak to be a combat rifle, but they are great shooters.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
That is my utmost favorite surplus rifle. I shot 60 rounds in September and ALL of them, except for three... were ringers. I have never shot that well with anything else I own. I feel that they are great, well made, and strong.  The gp-11 ammo is no sloutch either.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Accurate and great triggers too. I pay about 24.00 per box of 60rds so I guess you are getting a good deal.
Some of the highest quality of all rifles I have seen. The machine work is impeccable. Have you checked under the butt plate for the tag yet? In my opinion that is one of the coolest things about these rifles. Both of mine had tags, I keep meaning to write the former owners but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Enjoy your rifle, it is one of the coolest milsurps out there.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:Have you checked under the butt plate for the tag yet? In my opinion that is one of the coolest things about these rifles. Both of mine had tags, I keep meaning to write the former owners but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Enjoy your rifle, it is one of the coolest milsurps out there.

What what what?  What tag?

Man this has me hooked.  Anyone have any info on the scopes and mounts?

I took it out today and shot 5 rounds of norma(at $2 a shot) and ran out of stuff to shoot.  We toasted 3 mini propane torch tanks, a can of krylon and an old iron frying pan.  I can get a pic of the frying pan and one of the propane tanks.  It was rediculouly easy to hit everything dead center with one shot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]
most rifles had a tag underneath the buttplate of the stock identifing the owner and unit/location.

Some of those tags didn't get removed.  So, you kind of get a little "history" with a rifle, if you're lucky.  Mine didn't have one.

K31 Tags

Swiss Rifle Forum FAQ

Schmidt-Rubin Series rifles

Swiss Rifle Website

Swiss Rifles.com
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats badass. I'm going to check when I get home.

I found out the scoop on the scopes.  The ones for the k31 were like 17mm 1.8x which kind of sucks.  They were also side mounted so the top ejecting brass could clear the scope which kind of sucks too.

I was thinking last night about a way to mount a modern scope on it with out giving up too much of its cool factor.  I could drill and tap the receiver and mount a high weaver mount but then you run into problems with the bore line and axial line of the scope being way off.  Then I thought about a handgun scope.  I could mount it on the wood infront of the iron sights.  Since they have much longer eye relief it could be mounted and not impede the top ejection of the brass.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest keeping and enjoying it 'as-is'!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#10]
There's a discussion about the various scope mounts for the K31 on swissrifles.com

http://pub18.ezboard.com/ftheswissriflesdotcommessageboardfrm8.showMessage?topicID=748.topic

Pierre who is the designer of these mounts thinks that the clamp on is just fine.  It would save you having to d&t your collectible rifle.

www.brownells.com sells both mounts

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I bought one today for $59 from a local dealer who said they were great match rifles.  I thought "Sure whatever, the straight pull bolt is just cool".  

This thing is rediculously accurate.  At 100 yards I put 9 rounds touching.  I have never had an out of the box rifle like this, much less one that was almost 50 years old.

Does anyone else have one of these?  I would love to mount a scope but havent been able to find one of the originals and I really dont want to drill and tap this.

I only had one box of ammo to play around with today.  I think one of my local shops stocks it.  Is $168 per 420 rounds a good surplus price?

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
LHD, mounting a scope is a problem on most milsurp rifles, unless you are willing to d&t, which isn't a good option on the K31.
There are a lot of shooters wanting scopes who are using a scout mount and long eye relief scope. It mounts in place of the rear sight and you can return the rifle to original condition.
The Swiss Schmidt-Rubin K31 rifles were not used in war, since obviously the Swiss are neutral. They aren't as collectible as a 98k Mauser, for example, and most collectors won't get on your case as much as if you drilled and tapped a 98k.
I have one also, and the ammo is the only reason I don't have more.
$59.00? Does he have more, and where are you located?
Jim
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure he's got another one in the back, this guy has one of everything wedged into his small store.  We're in Northern VA btw.

This is excellent info.  Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone got one from SOG? I seen them in this months flyer and was thinking of getting one but I don't want a beat up one. They list them as in good condition.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#14]
SOG tends to be rather leberal in their idea of "good".
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I got one of the walnut stocked K31s from Alan's Armory allans-armory.com/ and IMO it was better than described, and his prices are very good. It's a real tack driver. My GF, after shooting all my various milsurp rifles,decided it was the one she wanted to use to shoot in milsurp rifle silhouette matches.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Congrats on getting the steal of the century!  A great way to scope your new baby is with ascout mount setup from Daryl.  Here is someone else's with a 2x20 LER Scope.

I just bought a 2.5x30 illuminated reticle LER that I'll be zeroing this afternoon.  I'll try to get a pic.

Also, here is an example of a tag.  This is the one I found in my first K31.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Awesome.  Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is the 2.5 x 30 illuminated reticle LER scope on a Daryl's Scout Mount.  Two things to note - this mount does not require drill/tap.  It replaces the rear sight and leaf spring. Also, as long as you use a scope the same size as this one or smaller, it will not interfere with shell ejection or with loading using strippers.

sorry for the crummy photo.  i'm getting used to a new camera.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#19]
interesting to note, that those 'stipper clips' are pretty neat and an often overlooked accessory you should get.

and the other picture with the bayonet.. those babies are hard to find and/or expensive!!!

(if you know of some cheap, hook a brother up!!)
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
interesting to note, that those 'stipper clips' are pretty neat and an often overlooked accessory you should get.

and the other picture with the bayonet.. those babies are hard to find and/or expensive!!!

(if you know of some cheap, hook a brother up!!)

I paid .25 pc. for mine! got 25 of them. Every once and a while the guys on the C&R collector Guns @ezboard have a deal for the guys that have been around for a while. Pierre has stopped selling his scope mounts private, BUt He is still the man to get the little things like go/nogo's, every once and a while he gets his hands wet into something cool like group bayonet buys, or stocks/mags, and the best one I ever took advantage of....RUAG Brass. Now I will never have to worry about the ammo I have plenty of new brass.

This is the first time I have been on the ARFCOM C&R board, but this is "My Thing" I like the C&R stuff.

When you guys get into your K-31's then if you can, you need to pick up a K-11.

I will post a pic of my tags in the next few days, Im currently waiting to see if I get a return from one of mine, He seems to still live at the same loc.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I have stippers, just need a bayonet, and those are 'rare'/pricy

hear about innexpensive bayonets for the k31, let us (or at least me) know  
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Congrats on getting the steal of the century!  A great way to scope your new baby is with ascout mount setup from Daryl.  Here is someone else's with a 2x20 LER Scope. photobucket.com/albums/0803/HarryB3/8330b9c5.jpg

I just bought a 2.5x30 illuminated reticle LER that I'll be zeroing this afternoon.  I'll try to get a pic.

Also, here is an example of a tag.  This is the one I found in my first K31. img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/415332/k31tag.JPG

Cool that my mothers maiden name.

BTW I just ordered my first K-31 today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top