Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2003 3:51:36 PM EDT
My B-day is tomorrow and I'm going to get a Yugo SKS for myself, . What should I look for when I go to the gun store? Does anyone have pics of their Yugo's to post and give me some inspiration? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My B-day is tomorrow and I'm going to get a Yugo SKS for myself, . What should I look for when I go to the gun store? Does anyone have pics of their Yugo's to post and give me some inspiration? Thanks.

Get the one w/the most cosmocrap on it...It's been left alone the longest...or...get the cleanest one-someone anal owned it before ya.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's my unissued Yugo, I got it for $169.00
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Here's my unissued Yugo, I got it for $169.00
www.hunt101.com/img/060340.JPG

gotm4, that is a really nice Yugo!! What did you do to the stock when you got it to get all the cosmoline off and then refinish it? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#4]
All I've done to the wood so far is wiped it with a towel and CLP.  I haven't shot it yet and I cleaned the action with brake cleaner and relubed it with CLP.  When I get the time on a really warm day I want to leave the stock out on the deck to let the cosmoline come to the surface to clean it off.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, the stock looks refinished to me, lol. Is taking the rifle apart for complete cleaning* hard? I've never really looked at an SKS to see how it comes apart. It looks kinda complicated to me.

Complete Cleaning- Take all wood off of metal. Take as many of the metal things that disassemble apart, i.e. bolt carrier and bolt, etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree, get the one the most covered in cosmoline.  It's not really that bad to clean off.  I used mineral spirits to clean the metal parts, takes the crud right off.  I used the oven to bring all of the cosmoline out of the stock.  I wouldn't recommend it if someone knows of a better way.  Stunk up the house for days.  Left the stock a little "hairy".  I lightly sanded it and put on a couple of coats of stain and it looks great.  Great shooter too.  Without adjustments it does 1 MOA at 100 yards.  Chewed up 500 rounds of wolf without the slightest hiccup.  Definitely worth the $150 investment.  Tons of fun.  Get your C&R license and you can get one shipped to your door, as well as many other fantastic older firearms.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys! Question, how in the world do you get all the cosmoline out of the stock?!! My friend and I were trying to get it all out of his M44 carbine by putting it in the sun. I just didn't cut it! I've heard that Easy Off is too harsh. What are your opinions? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#8]
It's pretty easy actually.  No tools are needed.  I have one of those 'Firearms Assembly/Disassembly books' that covered the SKS.  Be sure that you clean the bolt really well there was a lot of grease in the firing pin channel.  If it wasn't cleaned out it could possibly slam fire.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]
One trick I've found for getting cosmoline out of furniture is to use and old towel. Wet it really good, place over the wood and then go over the towel with a steam iron. The heat softens everything up  and the towel traps it. In addition, the steam will help fill any small dings and scratches. Just be sure to go buy a cheap steam iron and used waste towels or SWIMBO will object.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:16:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had good success with the citrus based degreasers like you can get at the auto parts store or your local Wal-Mart.  It does an excellent job of degreasing and isn't too harsh on the wood.

I also do the brake cleaner route on the metal parts.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
One trick I've found for getting cosmoline out of furniture is to use and old towel. Wet it really good, place over the wood and then go over the towel with a steam iron. The heat softens everything up  and the towel traps it. In addition, the steam will help fill any small dings and scratches. Just be sure to go buy a cheap steam iron and used waste towels or SWIMBO will object.

Carful though, it will also take any cartouches out of the stock. If you want you rifle to keep any sense of value, just leave it in the sun or put it in a warm oven.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#12]
On the SKS I put the trigger group and magazine in boiling water. I also pour boiling water over the barrel and receiver. Same thing with the stock.

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#13]
My friend Shaun soaked his SKS bolts in kerosene.

Similar treatment for all the other metal.

Using a heat gun also got a lot of the shit out of the stock.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't forget to de-grease the gas block!

The SKS I got wasn't so bad...but oh lord, that gas block...if I haden't thought to check that, it probably would have showered very hot oil all over everyone within a 20 foot radius, if it didn't flat blow out.

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I too am looking to pick up an SKS at the next fun show, check out this website www.simonov.net it contains some good information.

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#16]
For those not aware we also have an SKS forum on the AK side.  It could use a bit more activity, but has a great knowledge base.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to clean the gas block too. My dad and I are going to go do all the paperwork this weekend and it will be mine 10 days after... [sigh]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
i got a few of those when AIM had them on sale for 90 bucks each shooter grade

when cleaning, i take them apart and soak all the metal parts in a trough of acetone

then I did the same thing to the stock, scrubbed it with a brush, let it dry, sanded it, and put oil on it

they look good to me

if i get over my lazyness i can snap a pic of one after cleaning

if you clean the metal with acetone or something like it, be sure to lube it all up because that stuff removes all oil and it will rust just looking at it if you don't put something else on
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been toying with the idea of getting one and think I better move on it before they are not available.  I have my C&R.  What I'm not sure about is can I buy two and give one to my dad as a Christmas present without violating the regs of my C&R license?  
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've been toying with the idea of getting one and think I better move on it before they are not available.  I have my C&R.  What I'm not sure about is can I buy two and give one to my dad as a Christmas present without violating the regs of my C&R license?  

No problem as long as you document both in and out in your bound book and your Dad is eligible to own a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Red_Beard, those are some nice rifles dude!! Isn't acetone bad for the wood though? Will it make all the soaked in cosmo rise up and out? Thanks for all the info guys.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Red_Beard, those are some nice rifles dude!! Isn't acetone bad for the wood though? Will it make all the soaked in cosmo rise up and out? Thanks for all the info guys.

it didn't seem to ruin the wood to me

i wouldn't do it to a nice new rifle, but for these it worked fine, and i haven't had much if any cosmoline seeping out of the one that i shoot regularly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top