Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2003 5:05:13 PM EDT
Tuesday I found an M39 and today I found another Finn Mosin Nagant.
I haven't determined which model the second one is, but it is probably either a M27, M28, or M28/30. It is also possibly a Finn capture of a Russian 91/30, or a Finn M91. It is definately Finnish.
This is where it can get fun.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
OK, it took a while but I found out it is a Finn capture 91/30.
The M39 has a blondish Arctic Birch stock that looks very nice while the 91.30 has the classic reddish brown stained birch stock.
More after i clean them and go shooting.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The Finns are some of the most accurate guns and have very nice triggers to boot. Is yours a Sako, SKY, B or what?
I have only one, it is a Sako. A very very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The Finn capture 91/30 is a 1938 Tula. It has the "41" stamp and has the SA stamp. The metal has about 90% bluing and the wood is very good with 2 or 3 arsenal repairs.
The M39 is a 1942 VKT. Of the 2 is is the better rifle, both in condition and in how it was made. Owning both it is easy to see what they did to improve the Mosin Nagant series.
The M39 should give the other rifles a good run, but I think my M96 or K31 may still outshoot it.
It's time for a range report/shoot-off.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I know exactly how you feel about the shoot off, Every new gun I get goes through the range test at 100yds and the accurate ones at 200yds. I would suggest a shoulder pad, steel buttplates on a fullpowered rifle without padding is not good for accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The M39 should give the other rifles a good run, but I think my M96 or K31 may still outshoot it.
It's time for a range report/shoot-off.
Jim

Jim
In July I shot in a military rifle bench rest match. I took best 200 yard aggregate - 5 shot groups on 4 different targets - with my 43 Sako M39. Beating out all the M96, K31 and 03 rifles
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#6]
PB,

I am a big fan of the Mosin-Nagant.  An M39 can rank right up there with a Swiss K31 or a Swede Mauser for accuracy.

The '41' marked rifle is cool.  These are thought to be Winter War captured pieces pressed into service by the Finns.  If that is the case, it likely belonged to one of the one million casualties the Russians suffered in that engagement.  The Finns taught the Russians a lesson.  The Russians found out that their leadership was terrible (a result of the Stalin Purges) and their tactics woeful.

The subsequent Russian military reforms were ongoing when Barbarosa appeared on the Steppes.  The Russians learned and as a result, the Germans paid a terrible price.  But then, so did the Russians...some 20 million dead in the Great Patriotic War against the Facists.

I dig these old battle rifles.  They are a relic of momentous times.

Regards,
Mahatma
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Mahatma, I have read up on the different  mosin  nagants at the Mosin Nagant.net site. The history of the 91/30 is interesting.
The M39 should be about even with my K31 and M96 for accuracy. I'll let you know when I get time for a shoot off.
Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top