Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2003 3:09:37 PM EDT
I was recently given a type 99 Arisaka as a gift from a friend.  It belonged to her grandpa.  I noticed the bolt was missing, and she said her grandpa had to throw it overboard so that he could keep it as a war trophy.  The rifle is obviously a "last ditch" example.  It has a non adjustable peep sight and some machining marks on the receiver.  I was wondering if these are safe to shoot.  I know where I can get a bolt and some ammo for it.  If not, does the rifle have any collector's value?  I think it might be best to just buy a bolt, sling, and bayonet for it and set it next to my unfired byf 45 Mauser.  Then I could have last ditch bolt rifles from our two major enemies of WWII.  Your thoughts please.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Last ditch type 99 rifles are amoung the most collectable of the type. Despitetheir condition, they are built very strongly.  They are after all, a Mauser bolt system.

I would have a good gunsmith check it out before firing, but I should be fine.  If its condition is fairly decent (aside from its last ditch condition) I would personally not shoot it, but put it in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two 99s, 1 original and 1 Sporterized. When you get the new bolt have a gun smith check it out.

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Bought an M1 carbine and a Type 99 for $220 about 10 yrs ago. You can definitly tell it's a last ditch. However it appears to be unissued. Never fired it. One of these days I wiil get around to it.

Ammo won't be cheap.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I got one passed down from my Grandpa to my Uncle to me.

Mine seems to be in fairly good shape, not a last ditcher,  but I can't remember what arsenal it came from and what year it was built.

The bayonet is quite vicious too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#5]
You can make brass for the 7.7 Arisaka from 8mm mauser brass. Check some of the japanese collector boards for more details.

Forgot to add, check Numrich for a bolt, they have all sorts of hard to find items.
www.gunpartscorp.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top