Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 1:43:45 AM EDT
i was thinking of getting a 91/30 from aimsurplus while they are on sale for $70. would you recommend that over the 91/59 or m44 carbines they have? www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Specials_.html the ammo is cheap too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:27:53 AM EDT
[#1]
In addition to.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
agreed. each has it's strong points, but at that price get all three!
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The 91/59 will most likely have a barrel in better shape but the M44 has a bit better trigger.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#4]
btt with question

ok, so i picked one up from big5 sporting goods yesterday for $80 (came will all the accessories in a bag). Now, my only question is how do you clean it with the tools provided?

cleaning rod doesnt appear to be long enough to reach from chamber to muzzle and still pull it back out. do you just let it go and pull it out at the muzzle? am i missiing something blatantly obvious?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#5]
None of the cleaning rods on Moisins, Mausers or any of the others are long enough.  The idea was two or three soldiers would get together, screw two or three of the rods together and then clean the rifles.

So you need to find a friend or two with a Moisin.  Or just use a regular cleaning rod.

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]
The Big Brown truck is scheduled to bring one of the AIM sale 91/30's today.

I'll post here what I get.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
i was thinking of getting a 91/30 from aimsurplus while they are on sale for $70. would you recommend that over the 91/59 or m44 carbines they have? www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Specials_.html the ammo is cheap too.

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you shot a M44 or a 91/59?

These produce a huge fireball, a lot of concussion and are very loud.

I shoot a M44 quite a bit and it really tends to piss off nearby shooters.  Especially ones without hearing protection.

Just so you know...

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#8]
The BBT came with my AIM 91/30.

Overall it's a nice rifle. It is a 1942 rifle so the receiver machining is a little rough.

It passes the firing pin protrusion and nogo headspace checks.

The barrel is shiny but it has a counterbore. You just never know about counterbores until you shoot them.

It has all the accessories and they are in good shape.  All the serial numbers are stamped and match including the bayonet.

It's worth $69 for sure.  I'd get it and a M44, 91/59 and a M38.

I don't have a 91/59 yet...

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I was wrong about the counterbore.  This rifle has NO counterbore.

It also has a matching number on the bolt, receiver, floor plate, buttplate, and bayonet. No overstamps as far as I can detect.  1942 dated roughly machined receiver.

All the accessories are there including the dog collar sling.

Quite a buy for $69.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#10]
To clean, I just bought a .308 cleaning rod an brush for my M38 and it works fine.  Make sure you pout Windex or Amonia down the barrel after you shoot.  Most 7.62x54 Milsurp have corrosive primers.  I know this from shooting about 500 rds of Milsurp.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are going to get serious about old milsurp rifles you will find the standard length cleaning rods won't work. The modern rods are designed with a max 24" barrel in mind. I have 3 rifles with barrels over 28". To clear the rear of the receiver a 40" to 44" rod is what is needed.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Trust me. Which ever one you buy, you'll be back before too long wanting the other models. At the price they are offering them it is just too good of a thing to pass up. I have an M38 and I'm going after the M44 next, then the 91/30.

Good luck and enjoy your MN!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top