Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2003 2:23:19 PM EDT
Aside from the ridiculous price of 7.5 French ammo, what do you all think?

I have a chance to get a mint example, gorgeous wood, 4 mags, bayonet and frog, three boxes of ammo, grenade launcher (useless) for $310 shipped.

Share with me your wisdom oh insightful ones...
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
They are decent rifles.  I have all three versions of the MAS 49 rifle. They are decent shooters, but a little odd at first.

They don't handle like any other rifle, but are not hard to figure out.  Mine are all safe queens now eveen though I have a decent amount of surplus ammo.

Stay away from the .308 conversions, they are not reliable.
They are a good addition to your collection, but years from now, you wont opine about how great they were.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a decent Syrian variant. Superb shooter, but the ammo is stuff I've hoarded for a VERY long time. (Came on AAT-52 links..)

Handloading was a disappointing bust. The firing pin would slamfire even the hardest commercial primers, and I discovered that while not unplesant, or uncontrollable, a full auto MAS 49 is not condusive to accuracy.

Parts are all but impossible to find. I've made many to keep it shooting. On the bright side, the construction of these firearms is just slightly less massive than many battleships. You'll be hard pressed to damage, or wear out one of these.

If you must have a froggie self loader, you could do a lot worse.. They are unique, and in the early variants, capable of impressive accuracy.

Meplat-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top