Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2003 11:16:45 AM EDT

The M-44 carbine is from AIM Surplus. It is one of the “like new in wrap” guns packages that include the sling, ammo pouch, oiler and pull chain. It’s covered in a light coat of cosmo, all metal is nice and shiny, and the barrel looks good. It should clean up really nice. It is 1946 dated, and has a really nice hammer and sickle stamp on the receiver.

The Enfield #5 mark 1 has seen some action. It was made in July of 1945, and was stored in Malaysia. It is covered in old cosmo, the metal is dirty and painted black, but there is no surface rust. The barrel is plugged with cosmo, and the wood is covered in some sort of varnish. It’s going to need some work, but with some furniture stripper, paint thinner, and a lot of time, it should look good.

The Enfield was bought from SOG, and I paid an extra $10 for a handpick. The bolt and receiver match, and the parts I have seen so far are all marked with a "P".

I have yet to disassemble either rifle, but I hope to get the M-44 up and running shortly, the Enfield might be awhile.

Av.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
nice looking rifles.  i'm sure you'll have a ball cleaning em and figuring them out.

how'd aim and sog treat you shipping/service wise, if you don't mind my asking?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Just brought out my Russian M44 for the first time today. It worked Great. However, the first few rounds I fired off a bench rest and couldn't really get a good shoulder position - OUCH! What a kick!
Then I tried firing offhand and it was much more comfortable - better shoulder position.

Have fun!

S-I
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Good deal, I like .
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have those and many other C&R's also.

I can guarantee you that when you strip down the JC#5, there will be pitting under the wood. They ALL have it. Take it apart right away to see how much there is and if it is not excessive or dangerous, you should be OK. Wire brush the pitting, hit it with cold blue, clean the whole rifle up, and have at it.

With the 7.62X54, you WILL want a recoil pad over the butt. If you don't have one, after about 10 shots, you will wish you did. A universal slip on one for about $5 works fine. The M-N's kick like a damn elephant gun. But they are very accurate.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
How do I get a stuck screw out?

The JC has two screws that won't budge, and I managed to break another.

One of the screws holding the recoil pad on broke, the other is pretty well stripped.

The screw holding the front band on is also stuck, but the band is pretty well shot, much of it has rusted away.

I'm tempted to cut the front band and replace it, but I don't want to destroy the recoil pad.

I've sprayed CLP on the screws and let it set overnight, I've tried different size flatheads... I'm stuck!

Av.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Ahhhh, the joy of strippwn C&R's!!

Forget CLP, use Kroil. Let it soak, coat again, use an impact/shock device to loosen the screws.

If you do break screws, you will then get the bands off, have to drill & re-tap.

I told you the JC#5 would be a bitch to work on They ALL are like that. Nice rifles, but not well stored which is why they all rust.

When you eventually do get them in shooting order, make sure you take a bottle of Windex w/ammonia to the range with you. Shoot, spray, windex down the barrel and on the bolt face to kill the effects of the corrosive primers. Then take them home and clean them like normal.

C&R's are lots of fun, but they do require a great deal of work and patience.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, Brought all ny C&R to the state range one weekend.  After the M-44, I was stuffing a towel in my shirt.  That little rifle ahs some recoil.  Loud as hell too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top