Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 11:52:47 AM EDT
My friend just got his M44 carbine last night. We have completly broken it down and are cleaning it. The stock is melting the cosmoline as I type. My question is, how long should it take (roughly) for all the cosmoline to melt off. P.S. There doesn't seem to be a lot of it, but i'm not sure because this is my first time cleaning an old rifle. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#1]
i don't know what you mean by melt and i can't see the gun so i can't tell you how long it will take to clean.  you will have to do it until it's done.  when it's clean all the waxy buildup will be gone.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, the cosmoline is "Dripping" off the stock. How long should it take?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Once again, too vague.  What methods and materials are you using to clean the stock?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe a week if using the "leave it in the sun" system. But you will still get more leakage whenever you fire it. The hot barrel will ensure that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, I must be missing something here. What should I be using to clean off the cosmoline? All I did was take off the barreled action and put the wood stock propped up on a fence outside. There was cosmoline dripping, but if there is a faster way to do it, i'm all ears!! Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
My russian M44 was the nastiest one to clean up.

that damn grease they used did the job.. the crap got everywhere!

I did a total dissasembly.  I used EasyOff oven cleaner (hi octane stuff(yellow ?))

I had to refinish the stock, but its clean and pretty now
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]
7IDL, do you have any pics of your rifle? I would like to see it after it is all pretty'd up. Thanks either way.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
7IDL, that is a great looking rifle!! I guess my friend and I have some work ahead of us!! If you could, please explain how you stripped and refinished the entire rifle. You could IM me if you want. Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's the quick and un-dirty on it  

strip all the metal off the stock that you can..

using easyoff, in / over something to protect everything else.. let it soak for about an hour.

rinse off with a sponge and hot water.
Repeat as necessary.

when the wood is free of grease / finish, you may want to use a hot iron and wet cloth to raise any dents at this time.

after the stock is clean and dry, follow the instructions for staining and finishing the stock.   I think I used Tung oil as the finish.

while waiting on the stock, you could do a total disassemble on the metal.  Soak/clean the parts in the cleaner you prefer.  I think I used kerosene to get the heavy stuff.  IIRC, some people use paint thinner or acetone. (test what you want to use before doing your whole rifle)

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, should I use EasyOff for the metal and the wood? I've heard something about the color of the bottle being important. Yellow or something?? Anyway, thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]
yellow  can

not for the metal parts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top