Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2021 12:46:22 AM EDT
Does anyone know if you can purchase the newer style 10'' round handguard separately? I want to tuck my suppressor under the handguard on my pistol. Heck I may even change the handguard on my old quad rail model as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Looks like they have had it before and I signed up to be notified. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one that I took off of mine when I replaced it with the UTG keymod rail I'd be willing to part with. Also have the barrel nut tool.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have one that I took off of mine when I replaced it with the UTG keymod rail I'd be willing to part with. Also have the barrel nut tool.
View Quote

I will message you now.

That pistol with the can tucked under the rifle handguard looks amazing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Good looks! thanks for posting that, been wanting to update an old gen 1 for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
This was spot on! Ordered from the site posted above. I went the tucked route on my pistol. Looks just like your rendering!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Great graphic, @kel. You read my mind on some ideas I've been rolling around lately.

I do have a question for anyone that has done the suppressor tuck under the rail...does removing the OEM barrel support allow any appreciable deflection in the rail since everything is polymer?  Thx.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great graphic, @kel. You read my mind on some ideas I've been rolling around lately.

I do have a question for anyone that has done the suppressor tuck under the rail...does removing the OEM barrel support allow any appreciable deflection in the rail since everything is polymer?  Thx.
View Quote

If you mean the little cap at the end of the handguard, that wasn't even touching the barrel. So I'd say it's just cosmetic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:21:36 AM EDT
[#10]
here's a couple pics of the mine

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:56:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Folks used to be able to buy them direct from S&W's parts department if you knew the product number. They're not awesome at finding parts without the number, and to be fair, they've got quite a lot of them.
View Quote

WHAT? really? Back in the day, when SW first offered the MLok versions, guys on the SW forum were shut down when contacting CS directly. I'd love to upgrade my older quad rail version with an mlok one, in case anyone else has one they took off and are willing to part with. I've had "plans" for one for a while now and have never been able to find a used on in the EE or elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m in the boat, on the waiting list and fired off an email to SW. Fun little rig for the kids too, but I don’t want one of them to get burned on the suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Seeing those pics is bringing the pistol closer to the top of my buy list.   I’m thinking of maybe using one of my Obsidian 9’s instead of a rimfire can might look even better?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got off the phone with S&W. They do have the hand guard in stock. They did want a serial number off a gun to get the correct part. I was fortunate enough to have a carbine handy to read the serial number to them. $40 plus tax and $3.99 shipping.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just got off the phone with S&W. They do have the hand guard in stock. They did want a serial number off a gun to get the correct part. I was fortunate enough to have a carbine handy to read the serial number to them. $40 plus tax and $3.99 shipping.
View Quote
Well that sucks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Part number from S&W is

Got it in my hands today. Call em up and try.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Part number from S&W is

Got it in my hands today. Call em up and try.
View Quote
I don't have a serial number for a carbine.

I tried Numrich again and they have them available (even though I had signed up to be notified and never was).
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Perfection. If anyone needs a short hand guard let me know.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#21]
So does the 15-22 not need the barrel support at the end of the rail?  Obviously a suppressor wouldn’t fit with it so I’m assuming the answer is that it doesn’t need it. But does it cause the rail the flex or anything without it?  Would the suppressor not heat the plastic up to much?  Asking because I’d like to know before I sell my 10/22 charger and 15-22 rifle to do this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome, think I’m sold on it and my charger may be gone soon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Waiting on the shipment of my pistol and trying to get a ahead start on the other parts and see how to do the swap. First question I’ve got is how to go about actually removing the barrel nut without damaging the poly upper. Videos I’ve watched showed them using a barrel vice but with this short of a barrel it doesn’t look like you can. The removal tool extends well past the barrel. One video, the guy tried to hold it but ended up having to have a friend hold the rifle so he could twist it. Seemed like it was torqued pretty tightly.  Is the possibility of damaging it overblown?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Waiting on the shipment of my pistol and trying to get a ahead start on the other parts and see how to do the swap. First question I've got is how to go about actually removing the barrel nut without damaging the poly upper. Videos I've watched showed them using a barrel vice but with this short of a barrel it doesn't look like you can. The removal tool extends well past the barrel. One video, the guy tried to hold it but ended up having to have a friend hold the rifle so he could twist it. Seemed like it was torqued pretty tightly.  Is the possibility of damaging it overblown?
View Quote
After reading your post I decided to give removing my handguard a shot and it was super easy. The flash hider gave more of a fight than the barrel nut when I tried taking that off the other day, but luckily it wasn't as bad as some have reported.  Bubba must not have been working when mine was made.

Once the flash hider is removed and the barrel support popped out of the end of the handguard, the Tacticool tool slips down and engages the four notches of the barrel nut.  I gave it some pressure but no movement (just holding the gun on my lap since you can't support it as you mentioned).  Gave it a quick pop like the guy did in that video I think you're talking about (British dudes or something?) and it popped loose.  I remember the first one they tried and he grumbled something that it was way too tight, but the new one he took out of the box popped right off and he mumbled something again about "that's more like it".  

New handguard should be here later this week...  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
After reading your post I decided to give removing my handguard a shot and it was super easy. The flash hider gave more of a fight than the barrel nut when I tried taking that off the other day, but luckily it wasn't as bad as some have reported.  Bubba must not have been working when mine was made.

Once the flash hider is removed and the barrel support popped out of the end of the handguard, the Tacticool tool slips down and engages the four notches of the barrel nut.  I gave it some pressure but no movement (just holding the gun on my lap since you can't support it as you mentioned).  Gave it a quick pop like the guy did in that video I think you're talking about (British dudes or something?) and it popped loose.  I remember the first one they tried and he grumbled something that it was way too tight, but the new one he took out of the box popped right off and he mumbled something again about "that's more like it".  

New handguard should be here later this week...  
View Quote

Thanks for the reply, sounds easier to do than they made it look. Pistol is supposed to be delivered to my FFL tomorrow and I plan to buy the handguard today along with the barrel removal tool.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I just got done pulling apart my 15-22 pistol. Managed not to break anything. I put the handguard in a padded vise and rotated it so the rail hit the top of the vise and took some of the pressure. Removed the flash hider, then the barrel nut. The flash hider was on there harder than the barrel nut.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I clamped the receivers between my legs and the barrel nut spun loose rather easy. I was afraid to put it in a vise. Put the new hand guard on the same way. Gave it a good snuggin. Couldn’t be any looser than factory.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#29]
15-22 came in yesterday so I’m just waiting for the removal tool now. Holding off on ordering the new rail until I pop this one off. If I do somehow screw it up I can order an upper with the rail.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:25:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Is everyone sending their barrel off to get the threads recut so they are .22 compatible? It makes sense but was kinda bummed when I took the flash hider off and saw it had normal length threads on there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:13:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/501832/B9EC075C-BAF7-4EB9-B007-66768E75DB0D_jpe-1832433.JPG
View Quote

Is that a sparrow?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Is that a sparrow?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/501832/B9EC075C-BAF7-4EB9-B007-66768E75DB0D_jpe-1832433.JPG

Is that a sparrow?

Yes
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is everyone sending their barrel off to get the threads recut so they are .22 compatible? It makes sense but was kinda bummed when I took the flash hider off and saw it had normal length threads on there.
View Quote

Threads are long, but a DA Mask fits fine.  I bought one of the SilencerCo spacers anyway.  Preferable to sending off to cut a barrel
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Resurrecting an old thread but just got my new rail in and happy with the way it looks. Picked up a fake suppressor until I get a suppressor for it but selling off both the 15-22 rifle and my Charger will come close to paying for this and a new can. Will just switch out and use my Pilot 2 for the meantime. Have to decide which optic to toss on it as well. Anyway, wanted to say thanks for the idea as I am really liking this thing for now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top