Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2021 11:56:50 PM EDT
I just ordered a Dead Air Mask 22 HD and need to figure out how to put it in my international model 10/22. Obviously it isn't threaded and there is no room to thread in the current configuration. All options are on the table from new barrel, new stock, thread this barrel and chop stock, to selling it and picking up a takedown.

So what would you do?

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I would leave that gun alone and buy an easier, less attractive 10/22 to put a can on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Backbore and internally thread the barrel concentric to bore.  Put a nice crown down in there and install a threaded 1/2-28 extension with rocksett.  After full cure, cut a square shoulder and it will look 100% like a normal threaded barrel. If you're paranoid you could either silver solder the extension or pull the sight post and blind pin the extension beneath the sight.

Take this engineering drawing to your gunsmith:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen some pictures of a 22" barrel with a mannlicher stock.  Maybe buy the longer stainless barrel, cut it back to just longer than what you've got, and call it good?

Otherwise the solution above is probably the best solution.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Backbore and internally thread the barrel concentric to bore.  Put a nice crown down in there and install a threaded 1/2-28 extension with rocksett.  After full cure, cut a square shoulder and it will look 100% like a normal threaded barrel. If you're paranoid you could either silver solder the extension or pull the sight post and blind pin the extension beneath the sight.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132797/copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_-1759738.JPG
View Quote
Interesting. I have never heard of such a thing and not sure my local shop does that kind of machine work. Is this something you've done before?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've seen some pictures of a 22" barrel with a mannlicher stock.  Maybe buy the longer stainless barrel, cut it back to just longer than what you've got, and call it good?

Otherwise the solution above is probably the best solution.
View Quote
This sounds like the easiest solution. I've thought about a longer bull barrel cut back and threaded but I would likely have to hog out the channel in the stock and fit the end cap to the bigger barrel.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally? No.  But it's how I would do it.  No reason it wouldn't work.  Depends on the barrel OD at that location.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Cut the stock back a half inch and reset the nose cap?

Quite frankly, if it was my gun, I'd ditch the mannlicher stock. It's not 1920 any more, free float all the things.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Don't forget that you're likely to need new iron sights to clear the suppressor.  GI tech sights for the front and the NDS rear (w/integral 1913 rail) work well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quite frankly, if it was my gun, I'd ditch the mannlicher stock. It's not 1920 any more, free float all the things.
View Quote

Old school is cool. I'm not ditching my lever guns because they don't have a floated barrel.

Although, I will say a mannlicher stock on an autoloading 10/22 is a bit of an oxymoron but does look cool.

Personally, I'd leave it alone. The cost to modify it is going to put you close to the cost of a new/used 10/22 with a factory threaded barrel and I think you'd ruin the aesthetics of the rifle. Not sure about right now, but in normal times you could find a new one for around $300.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok. You guys are coming up with most of the same thoughts I had. Modifying could get costly and ruin the original point of the mannlicher. Sights would need to be changed. Who knows, maybe this thing will breed into a new rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy crap, used prices are insane. There is a "mint unfired" version of mine asking $750.

I could just do a threaded barrel and find a cheap stock to hack up and keep my original stuff.

it really would be a shame to hose up this rifle. It looks too neat the way it is now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Prices are inflated right now and I can't see anyone paying that much for a used 10/22. Shop around more or wait.

ETA especially when you can get a new one like yours for $470

https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/ruger-10-22-mannlicher-22-lr-semi-auto-10-rounds-18-5-barrel-7-6-lbs-new?p=98857&avad=211021_a1f1838a5&utm_source=AvantLink&utm_campaign=35987&utm_medium=df_NA

Here's a takedown for $490.

https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/ruger-10-22-takedown-22-lr-10-rounds-16-4-barrel-4-6-new?p=108353&avad=211021_f1f16e6f1&utm_source=AvantLink&utm_campaign=35987&utm_medium=df_NA

A bit more than maybe pre-pandemic but not bad if you need it now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Prices are inflated right now and I can't see anyone paying that much for a used 10/22. Shop around more or wait.

ETA especially when you can get a new one like yours for $470

https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/ruger-10-22-mannlicher-22-lr-semi-auto-10-rounds-18-5-barrel-7-6-lbs-new?p=98857&avad=211021_a1f1838a5&utm_source=AvantLink&utm_campaign=35987&utm_medium=df_NA

Here's a takedown for $490.

https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/ruger-10-22-takedown-22-lr-10-rounds-16-4-barrel-4-6-new?p=108353&avad=211021_f1f16e6f1&utm_source=AvantLink&utm_campaign=35987&utm_medium=df_NA

A bit more than maybe pre-pandemic but not bad if you need it now.
View Quote
If Ruger made a takedown Mannlicher, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  But I definitely didn't want to spend what it would take to Jerry rig a takedown into a Mannlicher stock, especially because Mannlicher are uncommon enough for folks to know how to work on them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#14]
other then getting a different 10/22 this would be your best option for mounting a suppressor  
i had the same type of threading done on a beretta u22 neo so i could put a suppressor on it

Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132797/copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_-1759738.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
other then getting a different 10/22 this would be your best option for mounting a suppressor  
i had the same type of threading done on a beretta u22 neo so i could put a suppressor on it

View Quote
Who did the work?  This is starting to sound like the best solution.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in the leave it alone camp. I would build a new 10/22 for suppressor use. Depending on what route you take on the new one (compared to what route you took to modify this one) a new one could actually be cheaper then modifying this one.

If I was dead set on modifying this one to have something truly unique, I would buy a new sportier taper barrel and send it to a smith to have it cut and threaded to the right length and have the front site installed. That would probably run you ~$250 and you could buy another 10/22 for the much.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's a 22" factory SS sporter profile barrel that you can have cut and threaded and the front site moved back...

ebay

Here's a guys who can do that work and turn it into a real tack driver if you are willing to spend the $?

Connecticut Precision Chambering
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
i had one of the guys at work do it

i would contact class3machining i just sent them one of my pistol barrels
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok. You guys are coming up with most of the same thoughts I had. Modifying could get costly and ruin the original point of the mannlicher. Sights would need to be changed. Who knows, maybe this thing will breed into a new rifle.
View Quote

Contact Class3Machining on here, or goto their website and tell the you wanna internally thread tour ruger 10/22 mannlicher with a thead adapter to run a can.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Why not contact Tornado Technologies and ADCO (username bigbore)
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would leave that gun alone and buy an easier, less attractive 10/22 to put a can on.
View Quote

I agree, dont mess with that gun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sixtysixdeuce (Nick of ECCO Machine) did this for my Ruger pistol.  I was inexpensive, and looks very nice.  I would ask him about doing this for your rifle.  Here is the thread I made about it, and the pics of my pistol:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Ruger-Mk-II-tapered-barrel-threading-options-/20-517539/
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Go buy another gun. It will be easier and possible cheaper than the conversion.
View Quote

Not if you have an internal threads and a threaded adapter installed.  Nick at ECCO machine put internal threads and an adapter on my .22 pistol for around $130. All I had to do was mail it to him.  Being able shoot suppressed is a great benefit for your ears.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#25]
IM sent.

Ruger lists their factory, standard taper 18.5" threaded barrels (p/n 90567)  as being 18.5", but I just measured a non threaded vs. a threaded, the threaded appears to be 19". I've wanted to do a Mannlicher stocked 10-22 with a suppressor for a while now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Ruger makes threaded barrels now.

Buy one the same length and replace.

Seems simple.

Threaded oem barrel
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Seems simple.

Threaded oem barrel
View Quote
That's pretty neat, actually.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

First post does it again
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it's feasible I'm sure Rose Action Sports(GunCat) can do it. This looks like an interesting way to do the job.

I'd trade that one for a basic model though. There were comparatively few made, all for Wal-Mart's distributor.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Seems simple.

Threaded oem barrel
View Quote
In my search I also found that barrel. Without the can it would add a knurled 1/2" to the rifle. That sounds like a winner if I could find one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn’t mess with it.
I’d find another 10/22. My next one is going to be another take down.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Any good barrel threading place can add a threaded extension, attached internally or externally the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Please step away from the Mannlicher.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it really would be a shame to hose up this rifle. It looks too neat the way it is now.

Please step away from the Mannlicher.

This is probably a better idea. For only a bit more than the price of the threading work you could buy a decent 10/22 with a factory threaded barrel. Pre-panic you could find them for $300 or less locally.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is probably a better idea. For only a bit more than the price of the threading work you could buy a decent 10/22 with a factory threaded barrel. Pre-panic you could find them for $300 or less locally.
View Quote
I've been sleeping on this one for a while and may end up with a takedown or a ruger american rimfire. The bolt action should be quieter but would require a scope. Also looking for a markIV as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I've never been a fan of the mannlichers, but they have a following.

So personally I'd sell and buy a LVT or DSP or similar model that has a regular adult-like stock (I *hate* the butt on the carbine) and go from there.

Maybe even if you've not gotten the can yet get a GemTech Mist integral setup and use any barrel meant for a 920 stock OR sand out any wood barrel.  I'd say do that for the mannlicher but then your still needing to re-figure out the end cap to accomodate the 920 diameter...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top