Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2017 1:59:04 PM EDT
Looking for opinions on this fun little round.  Thoughts?  How about as a varmint plinker?   Does it have enough energy?  What max range would you use if for varmints?  Of course it will be shot from a suppressed rifle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Accurate enough for 30 yards shots on very small game like chipmunks and squirrels. Quite enough for follow up shots if you miss. I would go for cns (head) shots as body shots might not get the dead right there effect. Any wind really throws the round off target. I would recommend a scope with a bdc reticle so that you can estimate the drop to target more accurately.

My FVSR & specter II is an suburban critter gitter using quiets at short range and with no noticeable report.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It sucks.  Just buy standard velocity.  If you need subs, buy subs.  

I have too many semi-autos to get mixed up with that weak assed shit. 
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome for troublesome raccoons at 3am when you don't want to wake the neighbors.. (unsuppressed)
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
To clarify...this will only be used in a bolt action rifle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Awesome for troublesome raccoons at 3am when you don't want to wake the neighbors.. (unsuppressed)
View Quote
Was wondering about that.  Wasn't sure if it was powerful enough to take out a raccoon.  Head shots, I'm assuming?  What ranges have you taken out the ISIS inspired raccoons?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't hit shit with it and im not gonna re-zero my scope for it.  

If you have a rifle / scope combo you could dedicate to the round, it might be worth it.  

My main .22lr is used for 50-100yd prairie dog shots.  The quiets are like 5' low at that range
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I did some testing on 8 different subs and cci SVs and the drop at 50 yards was huge!  Gemtech or CCI SV performed almost identical and are very quiet out of a suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#8]
These are listed as 45fpe directly from CCI's website. Plenty for groundhogs, squirrels, opossum, raccoon, etc.

Check out some airgun hunting stuff. I've taken opossum and groundhog with a 20fpe .22 pellet gun. Squirrels a plenty (both CNS and heart shots), even with a 14fpe .177 airgun. The .22 airgun I have now is about 14 fpe and drops crows out to 30 yards no problem.

As always, know your weapon. I'd keep their use under 50 yards for energy, and within whatever distance closer to ensure a solid hit. I never had issues taking squirrel at 35/50 yards (.177/.22, respectively). The larger critters at <30 yards with the .22.

Honestly, in the long run, it may just be easier to buy a proper air gun.

Hopefully this weekend I can play with my new rifle, a RAR .22lr and test these out in it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#9]
CCI Quiets + Henry H001 lever no scope = Consistent squirrel head shots, ie, broken clay pieces at 60 yards. I don't have a lot of it, less than 1000 rounds, but I do like it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:12:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ok... So you have too many semi-autos. Big deal. There is a lot of "Target" ammo that can't be used in a "semi-auto".

Don't like it?? DON'T BUY IT!! Many of us shoot rifles and handguns other than semi-auto's.

Personally, I have two Ruger 10/22's, two Henry H001's, and a Henry Golden Boy.

You like what you like. Try not to be so closed minded to what others like.

Go shooting and have fun.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:17:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I shoot CCI CB Caps out of a levergun.  They are very quiet, about like an air gun. I've killed a few varmints (possums, coons, feral cats) with them, mostly head shots. Works great.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't mind trying the CCI CB's, but those things are about $10 per 100 at Walmart. Hell, Mini-Mags don't cost that much. They run 7 and change.
Quiets and SV's run $3.50 per 50. CB's are shorts. I just can't see the cost.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I did some testing on 8 different subs and cci SVs and the drop at 50 yards was huge!  Gemtech or CCI SV performed almost identical and are very quiet out of a suppressor.
View Quote
Yeah it is. I forget the numbers, but I zeroed a RAR with Quiets at 25 yds and drop at 50 yards was significant. I took it out to 100yds and it was like 30-40 inch drop.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I thinks it's the same as 22 Short, but with a 22lr case so it fits better in a 22lr chamber. But it doesn't have the pressure to cycle in any 22lr gun I've shot it from.

It is super quiet with a suppressor, especially after first round pop. But I use CCI Standard Velocity far more because it is quiet enough and it cycles every time. SV is pretty powerful stuff, but your regular bulk 22lr ammo has a helluva lot of penetration even after 75 yards.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have shot it out of my unsuppressed CZ bolt gun and it is pretty quiet.  Never tried it on animals but I would think it would be okay inside 25 yard headshots.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#16]
It is quiet. They weren't lying. It was a gimmick until I got my suppressor. It is beyond hollywood quiet suppressed. A click from the trigger and a thud when it hits. I have a couple hundred rounds laying around for when stupid quiet is needed. I don't have any plans on using it for any particular reason. The point of aim is the issue. I've sighted in on standard velocity with a rifle and it is hard to guess the drop past 25 yards. You might have a 4-6" difference between quiets and standard velocity.   It should do on head shots on squirrels and rabbit sized animals. It's a great novelty round, but not at all practical for most things. 22lr sv ammo is too weak for me anyways, but is suppresses well. I'm a big fan of .17hmr for small game hunting, so my views are biased. I like them to drop where I shoot them. When I was using an anschutz and match ammo I had too many squirrels with headshots run before dropping. A few even took a few headshots to get out of the tree. 2 made it a couple feet only to die where the branch and trunk met with no way to recover them. CCI quiet has a place in my 22 ammo can, but a small one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Coble9, I must respectfully disagree with you. In that I can't hear them go off... they're Hollywood quiet just with a 22" barrel! Inside I hear a small pop, outside I just hear the striker falling and the impact. Definitely hearing safe.

Good kind of disagreement though, haha.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]
The click isn't the round going off, just the gun firing. It is the same as a dry fire when suppressed. That's all i hear until the bullet hits something.  It's kinda cool when shooting over 50 yards, watching the bullet through the scope.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah it is. I forget the numbers, but I zeroed a RAR with Quiets at 25 yds and drop at 50 yards was significant. I took it out to 100yds and it was like 30-40 inch drop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ah, glad to know that the huge drop is normal.  I was really wondering what the heck was going on with that particular cartridge!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoot a LOT of CCI Standard Velocity suppressed.
Quiet, accurate, effective vs rats, turtles, carp, raccoons, opossum, and skunk
So far
What's not to like?
Get you some CCI Std Vel and stop worrying about whether you have what you need
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#21]
They shoot great through my ruger american. STD and quiet sound about the same to me suppressed, but quiets without the suppressor are definitely softer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Standards are just a little pop out of my 22" barrel. Like using a quiet inside.

Considering I also experience the accuracy problem (about 2" groups at 35 yards, while SV does .625-.75" from the same ammo can with a t shirt on top rest), it may not be worth it if you need to use it at more than say 15 yards.

Not sure why the quiets group so poorly. They're almost as bad as remington thunderturds.

Still adamant that I can't hear a muzzle report outside with quiets, just the striker falling. Granted I do have some hearing damage.

If I had a suppressor, SV would remain a much better choice unless I seriously needed the lack of energy (pests in the attic?). In which case I'd recommend an airgun still.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I found some more quiets, planning to try them in my dad's old 1967 Marlin 39A. It won't feed shorts reliably, so the quiets should be the way to go. The 39A has a 24" barrel.

I shoot CB Caps out of a little Irma levergun that feeds shorts, but it's iron sights only. The 39A has a Leupold scope.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#24]
From my standard RAR, CCI quiets are damn quiet.  As in the thump from hitting a tree stump is much louder.  Report is about like a single hand clap.  25 yards is good for starlings, blue jays and dumb bunnies.  I can't get close enough to the local gophers, but wouldn't hesitate to put one in their dome.  I can easily hit a golf ball @ 25 with my setup, gets to a tennis ball @ 50 but haven't pushed past that.  My holdover is about 3" between the two.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#25]
FYI, they make a segmented version of this round. The bullets break up into three pieces and spread apart.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#26]
CCI Quiets cycle a 10/22 jus fine.  You just need to do some changes.  Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Shot a box of quiets through the suppressed RAR and a normal 77/22. Love this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I use these because I can't count.  I load one as the last round in a Henry lever so I can tell when I'm empty.

Pretty cool to hear it smack dirt at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I really only use it for behind the ear shots on raccoons or possums in traps that I catch around my chicken coop. Can't speak to its accuracy or reliability. It's just nice to not have to throw a pair of muffs on or deal with ringing in my ears, since I don't have a can.

Plenty efficient and quiet for DRT point blank shots at close range.

Edit: Suppressed bolt or semi auto? I can't imagine it would cycle reliably in a semi auto under suppression.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:58:53 AM EDT
[#31]
tested a bunch of different rounds and this was ridiculously inaccurate in a couple normally very accurate rifles.

which is weird, cause normal CCI stuff is usually more accurate than it's cost would indicate.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#32]
First thee shots are cci sub, the last is cci 22 quiet. With bolt locker.

Pretty quiet IMO

https://youtu.be/p7NAc33wg7c
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Hell, i just killed a rat the other day with it. Put a nice hollowpoint on it with a neal waltz bullet resizer. Wish i had some of the segmented quiet ammo. Was debating if i should last time  i was at the gun shop.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
tested a bunch of different rounds and this was ridiculously inaccurate in a couple normally very accurate rifles.

which is weird, cause normal CCI stuff is usually more accurate than it's cost would indicate.
View Quote
Interesting. I took my Savage Mark II FVSR to the range today to sight it in (again) using CCI Quiets. I could not get it to be consistent at all. I was constantly having rounds hit in two or three different places. Put a friend on the gun and the same issue. One round would hit at about the right elevation but would be right three inches. Next round would be low and right.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#35]
How far are you guys shooting with the inaccuracy prob?
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#36]
they won't cycle through my ARX 160 but remington subs will, but the rems have a high dud rate
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How far are you guys shooting with the inaccuracy prob?
View Quote
I was out at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ok... So you have too many semi-autos. Big deal. There is a lot of "Target" ammo that can't be used in a "semi-auto".

Don't like it?? DON'T BUY IT!! Many of us shoot rifles and handguns other than semi-auto's.

Personally, I have two Ruger 10/22's, two Henry H001's, and a Henry Golden Boy.

You like what you like. Try not to be so closed minded to what others like.

Go shooting and have fun.
View Quote

Yeah, big deal.  Someone asked for my opinion and I gave it.  I bought a case of SV and two cases of Aguila. 
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I've shot A LOT of these over the years and they definitely have a vertical stringing problem, even within 10 yards.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

To clarify...this will only be used in a bolt action rifle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2017 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#41]
At 25 yards, the Quiets as well as CB Longs (29 gr. bullet) shoot to the same point of impact which happens to coincide exactly with the reticle in my Leupold.  Both can exhibit stringing...presumably inconsistent pressure from the powder puff load.  Still, they are minute of rat at 25 yards, with most shots going well under an inch.  They both roll rabbits dead.  I would not take a body shot on anything larger than a rabbit.

There is no sound other than the action and the impact of the bullet. I tend to get more ricochets with the 40 grain bullet of the Quiets.  The CB Longs cycle fine in my Savage bolt gun mags and hand cycle in 10/22 mags as well.

I would love a 22 LR CB with a 29 gr bullet with a gaping hollow point.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Tried em at 50 yards and they are all over the place with 3 different rifles.  I'll stick with subsonics from now on.  725fps is pretty slow also.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#43]
IIRC I was getting 2" groups at 35 yards. Don't remember much vertical stringing, it was more circular patterning.

They were around 1" at 10 yards. Which is more along the lines of their intended use.

Again, the same rifle was shooting 3/8-1/2" (note: rest used was ammo can with a t shirt on top of a picnic table, so NOT very good at all) at 35 yards with CCI SV. It held tighter to the 3/8" with FGMM using the same setup/conditions. I want to believe the rifle would shoot 5/16" groups with the FGMM from a proper rest, and solid 3/8" groups with the CCI SV.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#44]
In my Ruger 77/22, the CCI quite ammo will print 10 shot groups at 50' in less then a dime!  I use them for bird hunting, which is not long range and they work real
good.  If I want to shoot farther, then it is time to break out the 22 Mag!
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I prefer the CCI Subsonics.
Even those are not DRT lethal if you don't make a head shot... but they are stupid accurate, quiet and consistent in my 10/22 / TAC65 combo.

If I absolutely want a possum or coon DRT, I use the Velocitors. Those hit like a fucking hammer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I prefer the CCI Subsonics.
Even those are not DRT lethal if you don't make a head shot... but they are stupid accurate, quiet and consistent in my 10/22 / TAC65 combo.

If I absolutely want a possum or coon DRT, I use the Velocitors. Those hit like a fucking hammer.
View Quote
Both the CB Longs and Quiets kill cottontails dead with body shots.  They will penetrate completely lengthwise.  I can see how a more densely constructed animal with tougher hide like a possum or raccoon would need more oomph with a body shot.

I step up to subsonics for coyote and put it in their ear.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I like it, have not benched it yet to see what it can do, but it made more noise hitting the wood than firing out of my marlin 795.  It did not cycle it.  I want to try it in my mk3 22/45 lite and mk2 22/45 standard as well as my single-six.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:06:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
CCI Quiets cycle a 10/22 jus fine.  You just need to do some changes.  Easy peasy.
View Quote
@Steamedliver I am curious about what changes you mentioned. I have a 10/22 and rec3ntly found a shit ton of the cci quiets for sale and was wondering how they would run in it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#49]
You’ll need to trim the weight of the bolt.  Others (meaning not me) have taken a drill press to the bolt to lighten it.

I think the easiest and safest is to buy the Volquartsen bolt specifically made for the 10/22 and CCI quiet.   For what it is, it’s expenive.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Thank you very much. I will have to look into those. I will also have to see if there's any YouTube about the drill press deal.I am proficient with tearing stuff up pretty good but the little fine stuff I try to leave to the pros.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top