Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2017 10:25:38 PM EDT
Just looking for insight.

I bought my son a brand new Ruger American Compact .22lr. We took it out for the first time today and shot at 50 yards (would have liked to shoot at 25, but this range is only 50-100 yards for rifle).

Anyway, at 50 yards and the stock iron sights I was unable to put the rifle on a 12"X12" paper! I picked out a spot on the berm and found the rifle was well over 1 foot low at 50 yards. I adjusted the rear sight up as far as it would go, but I was still a good 6 inches low (and a couple inches right.)

Needless to say this is disappointing for a brand new rifle. I don't want to put a scope on the rifle yet because I want my son to shoot iron sights for a while. Right now the rifle is useless.

Thoughts? Can I get a lower front sight for this rifle- my google searches have turned up nothing. Should I just contact Ruger?

For background, I used several different types of ammo, and it was not the shooter.

I also brought a Marlin .22lr with me and shot ragged holes with it at 50 yards- with a scope.

Update:
I shot it at 25 yards today just to confirm that something is screwed up with the sights.

This is at 25 yards with a variety of ammo. This accuracy is unexceptionable and the gun is going back to Ruger.

About 4" low right at 25 yards with the elevation maxed out....no wonder I couldn't hit shit at 50 yards yesterday. However, not bad groups with stock iron sights at 25 yards....I like the rifle, just need to get this accuracy thing squared away.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger has good customer service. Don't feel rushed and just send it back so they can make it right. Then you have nothing to worry about down the road and not a bandaid fix.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger has good customer service. Don't feel rushed and just send it back so they can make it right. Then you have nothing to worry about down the road and not a bandaid fix.
View Quote
Yep, I guess I'm about to find out how good their customer service is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]
May work.

I don't know if this will work, but you should be able to get more adjustment out of it than the factory rear sight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
May work.

I don't know if this will work, but you should be able to get more adjustment out of it than the factory rear sight.
View Quote
Thanks! I'll probably get some of those anyway, but the rifle is going back to Ruger- postal service is picking it up from my house today.

I wan't to make sure Ruger looks the rifle over and makes sure nothing is wrong with barrel/crown. Before I adjusted the rear sight, the rifle would have been shooting damn near 12" low at 25 yards- from the factory.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Out of the box, mine is shooting about 2" right, and, with the elevation maxed, about 1/2" low at 25 yards. I've pushed the sight over to fix the first issue.

Just ordered one of the Williams Fire Sight. Hopefully it'll fix the elevation problem.

Fun little rifle. Just want it to hit where I'm aiming.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got word that Ruger is going to replace the rifle.

It's annoying that this happens, but Ruger does have pretty good customer service.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
That's great to hear OP. I've liked Ruger as a company and it's good to see that they care about their customers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top